Tracking Sequence (metal genre)

• Members

I'm interesting in hearing comments related to the sequence in which you guys track instruments.

I'm going to be recording a demo for my band (metal/hardcore) and intend to start with either a scratch track or programmed click for our drummer.

I will do drums first, and then I was thinking bass because I'd like to make sure the rhythm is super tight, and the bass fits with the kick. Then guitars on top, to make sure that the guitars and bass blend well. I figure it will be easer to get a range of tones with guitar (as opposed to bass which will be DI) and Vox last.

Thoughts on this?

• Members

If your band is traditional in the sense that your drummer leads the way, you'll be fine. In some bands though I've seen that sometimes the bass player or even a guitarist is the one that really drives the band. Even when using a click track there's still someone who drives the bus so to speak.

I don't think the order of tracking makes as much difference as making sure that you leave space for everything. You seem to be on top of that so I think you'll be fine.

I'd also look at the guitar player(s) tones. How much sonic room do they take up? If they sound more like Dimebag you may want to start with them. It may be easy to build around them than to try to squeeze them in later.

• Members

For most metal bands I've run into, just recording the drummer first to a click track and then adding on doesn't work.

They aren't used to it and it doesn't give them the vibe they use to play their music.

I give each guitarist a POD or V-Amp, bassist goes direct and the drums are miked.

Let them bang it out live this way two or three times and take the best from each part. Then have the rest of the guys redo their tracks to the others.

Seems to work the best this way for me.

• Members

Originally posted by BechtelChris

...there's still someone who drives the bus so to speak...

I'd also look at the guitar player(s) tones. How much sonic room do they take up? If they sound more like Dimebag you may want to start with them. It may be easy to build around them than to try to squeeze them in later.

Good point, when we have tempo/timing problems, our drummer tends to say, "well, I was just following so and so" :D

As far as guitar tone and taking up space, I think we are pretty balanced in terms of instrument prevailance in our arrangments, but still an excellent point.

Originally posted by sysera

For most metal bands I've run into, just recording the drummer first to a click track and then adding on doesn't work...

...Let them bang it out live this way two or three times and take the best from each part. Then have the rest of the guys redo their tracks to the others.

Hmm... hadn't thought of that... I'll give that some more thought and see what the guys think. Thanks! :)

Archived