DUDES! I'm applying for the Gibson Custom Shop and.....

Panopticon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by rockstrongo

That's not what I heard at all. I have friends that work at the Gibson Memphis plant and they make really good money. Plus, they score guitars for super, super cheap.

Guitars for super cheap? I have not heard the same story. There was a guy on another board who worked at the Memphis factory (back when all the archtops were made there instead of the custom shop), and he said that he didn't get any kind of extraordinary discount.

He said that they would get something like 10-15% off, but even if they found a guitar that they wanted during production they'd have to let it go through the system completely. Basically he'd see a nice 335 or something that he wanted, then it would have to be finished, then shipped to Nashville to the main office or whatever, be sorted through there and then he'd be able to buy it through the employee store. He said the whole process took around 3 months, even though he could've taken the guitar off the line and then dealt with it.

That said, working at Gibson would be super fun I'd imagine. I'd love it, but apply thinking you'll be able to get CS Les Paul's for the price of one.

• Members
Originally posted by ScreaminKing

but even if they found a guitar that they wanted during production they'd have to let it go through the system completely. Basically he'd see a nice 335 or something that he wanted, then it would have to be finished, then shipped to Nashville to the main office or whatever, be sorted through there and then he'd be able to buy it through the employee store. He said the whole process took around 3 months, even though he could've taken the guitar off the line and then dealt with it.

If I worked there and saw a guitar I wanted, I would circumvent that long wait time by utilizing the out-the-back-door-to-my-car procedure :p

• Members

Originally posted by ScreaminKing

Guitars for super cheap? I have not heard the same story. There was a guy on another board who worked at the Memphis factory (back when all the archtops were made there instead of the custom shop), and he said that he didn't get any kind of extraordinary discount.

He said that they would get something like 10-15% off, but even if they found a guitar that they wanted during production they'd have to let it go through the system completely. Basically he'd see a nice 335 or something that he wanted, then it would have to be finished, then shipped to Nashville to the main office or whatever, be sorted through there and then he'd be able to buy it through the employee store. He said the whole process took around 3 months, even though he could've taken the guitar off the line and then dealt with it.

That said, working at Gibson would be super fun I'd imagine. I'd love it, but apply thinking you'll be able to get CS Les Paul's for the price of one.

All I know is that he got two SG Standards for $300 a piece.

And an ES-335 for $600.

Sounds like a killer job to me.

• Members

Unfortunately, this post is late.

However... (for your next attempt), if you've done any wood working or (as an earlier poster said) any luthier work, write a few paragraphs that summarize your accomplishments.

If you've taken any training relative to the job you're applying for, be sure to specify that, as well.
Think of yourself as a product, and build your resume to SELL!

It would be wise to indicate a certain respect for the Gibson company, its history and products, and it sure wouldn't hurt to indicate a particular interest in the Custom Shop... Look up some of the Custom Shop's more popular or special models.
Being knowledgeable about the firm's products can only help your cause.

Send a cover letter with your resume. Indicate the job you wish to apply for. Ask if there is a formal procedure that you need to follow to get the interview.

Assuming you're called in for an interview, look cheerful, show a positive attitude, and replay your resume and cover letter in your head as you explain your reasons for wanting the job.

After you get the job, get yourself a few respirator masks.
That dust is very dry in the throat!

Good Luck!

• Members
Originally posted by rockstrongo

That's not what I heard at all. I have friends that work at the Gibson Memphis plant and they make really good money. Plus, they score guitars for super, super cheap.

Yeah, they probably get them for what they are really worth :D Just kidding.............

Archived