Help with fret buzzing problem!

Bernie Franks

• Members
Originally posted by Bernie Franks

I've tried botha these things, but the problem persists.

IT PERSISTS!

And so I go on to blame a pooey fret...

Ah, probably is then ;) Although if youre not certain, it couldn't hurt to take it for a tech's opinion in case you {censored} up :p

• Members
Originally posted by Abrasion

Ah, probably is then
;)
Although if youre not certain, it couldn't hurt to take it for a tech's opinion in case you {censored} up
:p

I actually took it in for a setup and told him about it. Bastard didn't do anything except lower the action (which seems to have made overall buzzing worse). :mad:

And as such, I'm wary about taking my guitar to techs now... :o

• Members

I actually took it in for a setup and told him about it. Bastard didn't do anything except lower the action (which seems to have made overall buzzing worse).
:mad:

And as such, I'm wary about taking my guitar to techs now...
:o

TIP #1: Take it to a decent tech ;) Perhaps avoid an 'in-store' tech, look in the phonebook and take it to a guy that is actually a guitar tech, not the employee that likes to play with an allen key the most.

:D

• Members

I actually took it in for a setup and told him about it. Bastard didn't do anything except lower the action (which seems to have made overall buzzing worse).
:mad:

And as such, I'm wary about taking my guitar to techs now...
:o

Get a better tech.

Tell him the problem and ask him to fix it. If he doesn't fix it sk for your money back.

• Members
Originally posted by Abrasion

TIP #1: Take it to a decent tech
;)
Perhaps avoid an 'in-store' tech, look in the phonebook and take it to a guy that is actually a guitar tech, not the employee that likes to play with an allen key the most.

:D

He was old so I assumed he knew what he was doing. :o

• Members

That's common. Over the years, it seems on some guitars, doesn't matter if they're expensive or cheap, there's always one or two dead spots. Its usually caused by a high or low fret. If here's alot of buzz above the 12th or 14th fret on all of the frets, a lot of bolt on necks have the dreaded "neck hump" where it meets the body. I have an excellent guy in my town who does great work on necks. I've had him fix this several times. Its not expensive.

As the others said, take it to a professional repair person. its an easy fix. Also, a truss rod adjustment won't affect the neck that high up so I don't think that's your problem.

• Members

Originally posted by blueswoman

That's common. Over the years, it seems on some guitars, doesn't matter if they're expensive or cheap, there's always one or two dead spots. Its usually caused by a high or low fret. If here's alot of buzz above the 12th or 14th fret on all of the frets, a lot of bolt on necks have the dreaded "neck hump" where it meets the body. I have an excellent guy in my town who does great work on necks. I've had him fix this several times. Its not expensive.

As the others said, take it to a professional repair person. its an easy fix. Also, a truss rod adjustment won't affect the neck that high up so I don't think that's your problem.

What is this "neck hump"?

I have a bolt on cheap guitar and i sometimes have the problem the original poster mentions.

I said sometimes. Sometimes its there other times its not. I learn to live with it. I keep my guitar in a very controlled evironment.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

i have a buzzing on the 6th fret on the A,D,and G strings. there's buzzing on just the D string from frets 2-6 (the worst being on fret 6).

any idea on what i could do to fix this? or if i bring it to a tech how much it would cost? thanks

Archived