Tokai MIK pup and hardware q's

JcKerr

• Members

I really love this guitar and I was thinking about upgrading it some... I was my plans for now are probably replacement pups, want WCRs but will probly end up with SD 59's.... also a RS wiring upgrade or and switchcraft switch...

I think i'm going to put the reflector knobs on it like on a 1960 LP cause they are cool also...

My questions are:

1. How good are the tuners they are like Kluson knockoffs. I have a set of Grover Rotomatics that came off of a Dean Acoustic, worth drilling new holes or NO?

2. What is the bridge spacing for the tailpiece i'd like to get a lighweight tailpiece but I imagine that it's metric and the real Gibson one gotoh makes an aluminum one and it probly wouldn't fit.. in that case, is tonepros my only option?

3. which mod would give me the most bang for my buck... i'm guessing SD 59's but who knows... what about those GFS 59's how do they compare to duncans?

Thanks for any help!

• Members

Who else were you expecting? :D

1. I've never had any tuning issues with mine. Tuners are great. You will have more problems with nut issues than tuners on most any guitar.

2. JSD should know this or www.tokairegistry.com

3. Buy a used set of 59's if you get them. I have a set in my Agile and I like them quite a bit. They are a little bassy but I like em. Also the 59/Pearly Gates combo is great. I've got 59/JB in my Tokai which is slighty a little too bright so i roll the tone back to around 7-8.

• Members

I don't think changing the tuners is necessary unless your having problems with them, as Bato said they work just fine.

I don't have the specs on the spacing but you may need to drill out the holes a bit as I know a previous customer of mine did a major upgrade like the one your planning, he used a Pigtail tailpiece and said he had to enlarge the holes. He mentioned it added the the acoustic feel/resonance of the guitar but wasn't really that noticable of a difference when plugged in.

This person also went the WCR pickup route and RS wiring kit and said it made the guitar a total killer. I'd say swapping the electronics would make the most difference for your money.

Archived