Neil Young talks about latest Archives release - "A Treasure"

g6120

• Members

What is amazing about this talk is Young points out that at the time he was making this music

he was being sued by his record company for not making music characteristic of "Neil Young"

then he went to Warner Bros. Nashville to see if they would promote his country music and

they said no way, you will never get played.

So what did he do? He didn't give up. He took his band on the road booking small venues playing

to audiences he normally didn't play to without backing from his label.

That's called believing in yourself above all else. Doing what YOU want to do not what everyone

else expects you to do.

I was lucky enough to see one of these "International Harvester" shows in 1984 at a small country

western bar. Incredible.

The other great thing about this video is how he talks about each musician and remembers them:

[video=youtube;l4uCSDnjbRc]

• Members

I remember about hearing this and agreeing:

"I think that the time when music could change the world is past," he told reporters. "I think it would be very naive to think that in this day and age."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/02/08/neil-young-music-cant-cha_n_85747.html

While I don't like some of his music (okay the song "Piece of Crap" was a complete "Piece of Crap"). I disparagingly agree that music has lost it's place in being able to change the world.

I hope that it's just a temporary setback.

I heard some of the tracks on CBC the other day, and must admit that I'll probably be buying this new release.

• Members

That was really cool - I watched the whole thing. Always liked the way Ben Keith played too. That wasn't my favourite Neil Young era but it doesn't matter, I'll still look forward to that version of Down By the River that he talked about. I think it's so cool that Neil is finally releasing all his archives.

thx!

Archived