String guage??

Lucas S.

• Members

I've been looking at old post on this forum and others and it seems like a lot of people change the guage of string on their guitars somewhat frequently. I had a guy at a guitar store treat me like an idiot once when I mentioned changing mine without doing a setup on the guitar(that he charges $50 for). So is this really necesary or did he just need $50? He claimed if I went from 9's to 10's it wound bend my neck severly. Thanks for any help.

• Members

Originally posted by Lucas S.

I've been looking at old post on this forum and others and it seems like a lot of people change the guage of string on their guitars somewhat frequently. I had a guy at a guitar store treat me like an idiot once when I mentioned changing mine without doing a setup on the guitar(that he charges $50 for). So is this really necesary or did he just need $50? He claimed if I went from 9's to 10's it wound bend my neck severly. Thanks for any help.

If you have a decently stable neck, going from 9's to 10's aren't all that bad. A little tweaking may be good but hardly as essential as this guy says it would be. Possibly not even needed.

Going from 9's to 12's, most guitars are gonna somewhat outta whack.

But you can easily learn how to adjust relief/action/intonation yourself and save the 50 bucks. It's really easy.

Going from 9's to 10's as you would be, a little turn of the truss rod followed by some slight adjusting of the string height (if you deem it neccessary, that is if the action gets lower and you don't like it or find slight buzzes) and finally intonating.

• Members

The main thing I've noticed when changing string gauge is that the "G" string tends to bind in the nut (sounds painful :D )...anyway, I've usually had to widen the slot a bit and rub a pencil in there to lubricate the string.

Sure I've had to tighten the truss rod a little and adjust intonation...but the nut slots have always been the biggest issue for me.

Archived