Any good Plugs For pitch and tempo?

• Members

I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for a decent plug to alter pitch and tempo seperately? I have chronotron for winamp for listening, but i don't have anything like that for in Cubase (what kind of format does winamp use, i thought it was direct x, but i couldn't get chronotron to come up in cubase). One thing I'd want this for would be to make transcribing fast jazz lines easier, but my main purpose would be to use for remix and plunderphonic ideas, as well as very slight varispeed effect everyonce in a while on something i'm recording. One thing I'd like to be able to do that chronotron doesn't seem to be able to do is control things in real time. with chrono there is like a second delay after you stop moving the slider and it cuts directly to that pitch tempo setting. in other words if you held the mouse in and slid the fader down the whole way slowly you wouldn't hear any change until a second after you were done and it would cut directly to that setting. I'd like something thats real time and fairly smooth. and I'm not really worried about the phase problems this causes all too much, i kind of like them when used right. thanks.

EDIT: for reference I'm looking for VST or DirectX and I'm looking toward the cheaper end (or hell even free if it workds good), but i'd like to know what else is out there because if one was quicker with dealing in real time, i'd probably want to fork out the extra dough.

• Members

Pitch shifting and timestretching require a lot of processing to sound good. Cubase SX has always had a great pitch/time algorithm. You can set this up various ways - if you would like to import wave files, and stretch them to snap to the tempo grid, this is doable.

If you can find any free plugins that do pitch/time, I would expect them to sound glitchy.

However - if you want to play with pitch shifting without time stretching (like real tape varispeed) then have you consider using a sampler? Any sampler - even the free Manytone Simple Shiney Sampler, lets you import wave file and then trigger it from any note on the keyboard - or use pitch bend. The time speeds up or slows down, but the sounds are relatively glitch-free.

It all goes pear shaped when you try to pitch shift and correct the time length at the same time. To do this, the algorithm has to 'make up' or 'throw away' wave data. The potential for problems is very high, so this is best done with very CPU intensive processing offline, where the least damage can be done.

• Members

well it doesn't have to sound good really, i mean i kind of liked the effect it had on the sound with the winamp plugin i was using, i was going for a lo-fi sound anyway kind of. keep in mind i'm not going to be using this for any kind of commercial super dj kind of remixing, its definitely going to be used for a lo-fi plunderphonic vibe (at least what i'd want to do in real time). and the quality definitely dosen't matter too much for transcribing as long as the note is there and its slower. I'm just more concerned about it being real-time (if this is possible) and it being responsive without much latency. there are a number of pitch/tempo plug-ins on the kvr site, i'll be trying but i just wondered if anybody had any suggestions with where to start. i'll post my findings if i find anything worthwhile.

Archived