Electric strings on an acoustic?

chu2

• Members

So anyway, I have this epiphone DR-200, about a year and a half years old.

Its got a magnetic electric guitar pickup on it that I installed, and the problem I got is that the sound isnt balanced between the strings. The B string sounds really loud, and the G is barely a whisper.

Its an 80's single coil pickup, no polepieces to adjust.

So my question is, would it hurt the guitar to put some nickel-steel electric guitar strings on the acoustic to get a good, balanced electric sound?

Something like a 10-46 guage set?

• Members

I had a Takamini A/E and I put electrics on. I don't think it hurt a thing but it sounded very different. I put on Markley 11/52's and it was still way faster as far as leadwork. Not saying it sounded bad, just alot different than with acoustic strings.

• Members

I have some 9 guage Ernie Ball electrics on my old Applause acoustic. I put them on so the wife and kid could more easily fret the strings while learning to play (their combined weight is less than mine).

I don't think it will hurt the guitar any more than ultra light acoustic strings would. That is, due to the lower string tension, you may have to adjust your truss rod at some point.

However, on mine anyway, the tone sucks (not that the Applause sounded good to begin with). Very thin and bright sounding.

It's a thrill to play, though. It's really strange, because I play 10s on my electric guitars, so having an acoustic with 9s feels too easy.

Archived