Please give me some opinions on how I should setup the electronics in my fat strat

Gravity

• Members

Here's what I'm thinking so far ...

Pickups:

Neck remains stock

Middle becomes a SD Quarter Pound

Bridge becomes a Dimarzio Super 3 (because that's what I have lying around)

Controls:

Dual Concentric pot on the humbucker for master volume and tone for the humbucker

One push pull tone pot on the neck ... the switch associated with this pot would be wired so that I could use the neck and bridge at the same time or all three pups at once

One regular tone pot on the middle

Questions

what value pots should I use ?

what value caps should I use ?

Any other criticisms / suggestions are welcome.

I've swapped pickups before, built an AX84 P1 and a Tubescreamer Clone, but I've never redone a guitar's electronics like this before.

• Members

I have a strat with a JB in the bridge and 2 Fralins. The only problem is volume drop-off between the hum. and the sc's.

So I put together another one with Hot Rails (b), Hot Stack (m), and Cool Rails (n). No drop-off in volume. And the Cool Rails still give you the Strat tone.

On both the vol. knob pops up to split the HB to sc, and the 1st tone pops up to add the bridge to whatever else is selected.

I'm thinking about swapping the Hot Rails for the JB because I like the JB better.

• Members

I definitely want to keep SC's in the middle and neck.

I haven't really noticed a bad volume difference with what I have now because I play with plenty of gain and overdrive. I only play clean when I'm messing around. Everything done in a band situation is dirty.

What value pots and caps did you use in your setup?

• Members

On my fat Strats, I have them wired up with a master volume and master tone control. I have the 5 way switch setup for:

1: Humbucker
2: Split Humbucker and Middle
3: Middle
4: Middle and Neck
5: Neck

I've got a 500k volume pot and a 250k tone pot with a .22 cap.

One has a Seymour Duncan Custom/Custom and Kinman AVN '62s, the other has a Custom/Custom and SD APSIIs.

• Members

I don't know about the JB one. I bought it used like that.

The 3 HB one, I just bought 500K pots from Allparts and the tech put the cap on (the only part I didn't buy).

I wish I knew more about it actually. I wish I could even out the Fralins and the JB. If I go from hi-gain HB to clean sc I have to turn my amp up.

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

On my fat Strats, I have them wired up with a master volume and master tone control. I have the 5 way switch setup for:

One has a Seymour Duncan Custom/Custom and Kinman AVN '62s, the other has a Custom/Custom and SD APSIIs.

you don't use the third pot for anything then ?

• Members

Originally posted by Prages

Mine's wired similarly--250k tone pots, 500k vol pot, and I have a switch for the bridge hum. Switch does hum (series) or split. Split + middle is by far my favorite sound on this guitar. Mine has a lil' 59 (neck) duckbucker (mid) and JB (bridge). I may add a push pull so I can have the neck & bridge together. Split 'em and do N+B and you'll probably get a sweet tele type sound.

Archived