OT - Paypal scam

bullpencoach

• Members

Hi - recently I got an email saying that a new (not mine) email address had been added to my PayPal account. When I checked my profile, it wasn't there, so it may have simply been a fishing attempt to get me to log on through the email itself. Anyway, would you close the PayPal account immediately, or let them check on it further, and monitor it closely? I'm unverified.

Anyone else have this happen?

• Members

I have a seperate email account that I only use for eBay and PayPal...and for some reason, I've never gotten a phishing email at that account. I do get them all the time on my regular email account...which lets me know immediately that they are bogus...I forward them without even opening them to spoof@paypal.com.

Why everyone doesn't do this, I have no idea. I don't get any other spam there either.

• Members

Originally posted by tim gueguen

I get several of those a week, which is amusing since I don't have a Paypal account.

A tip for seeing if an e-mail is legit is to look at the message path. Its not hard to guess its not from say Paypal if the sender turns out to be an e-mail server in Belgium.

I agree.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I clicked on a link in the first email, then realizing that was probably stupid, shut down the window before the page had loaded fully. The message path did seem strange.

Getting even more of them. The party must have had read-receipt or something. Ugh.

• Members

Originally posted by bullpencoach

I clicked on a link in the first email, then realizing that was probably stupid, shut down the window before the page had loaded fully.

I would run an anti-spyware program anyway. The first thing a spyware laden page does is deposit a tracking cookie on your computer (well before the page finishes loading).

Archived