Series/parallel wiring

335clone

• Members

OK, I understand the difference between two components wired in series and wired in parallel.

Please explain the difference between a single humbucker in 'series' and 'paralel'

The reason I am asking is a friend recently acquired a 1990 Tom Anderson Grand Am. It has stacked buckers in the neck and middle positions, and a standard bucker in the bridge. There are 3 mini toggles "Series/off/Parallel", and an "on/on" mini toggle that bypasses the three mini toggles and runs the bridge bucker in series (and turns off the neck & middle)

So what is the tonal difference (or wiring difference) between the HB in series only, and selecting only the HB but in 'parallel'?

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

OK, I understand the difference between two components wired in series and wired in parallel.

Please explain the difference between a single humbucker in 'series' and 'paralel'

The reason I am asking is a friend recently acquired a 1990 Tom Anderson Grand Am. It has stacked buckers in the neck and middle positions, and a standard bucker in the bridge. There are 3 mini toggles "Series/off/Parallel", and an "on/on" mini toggle that bypasses the three mini toggles and runs the bridge bucker in series (and turns off the neck & middle)

So what is the tonal difference (or wiring difference) between the HB in series only, and selecting only the HB but in 'parallel'?

Actually, they likely put the pickups in either full on(series) or either parallel OR split.

As a fellow TA owner with the switcheroo system you're describing, I'm familiar with this.

In the control cavity, you'll likely find a small set of dip switches that allow you to make those three mini switches either work as full/split or series/parallel (series is just full humbucker mode).

The three switches are usually wired to be full (series) in the down position, or either split or parallel in the up position. The fourth switch is called a blower switch. No matter what position the other switches are in, the blower gives you the bridge PU in full (series) humbucker mode.

• Members

The difference is, the parallel setting still cancels hum like the series position does.

The split setting just drops one of the coils and it acts just like a SC.

The SC & parallel sounds are very similar in that they give you that thin SC sound.

I prefer parallel because of the noise cancelling aspect.

• Members

Originally posted by mdog114

Actually, they likely put the pickups in either full on(series) or either parallel OR split.

As a fellow TA owner with the switcheroo system you're describing, I'm familiar with this.

In the control cavity, you'll likely find a small set of dip switches that allow you to make those three mini switches either work as full/split or series/parallel (series is just full humbucker mode).

The three switches are usually wired to be full (series) in the down position, or either split or parallel in the up position. The fourth switch is called a blower switch. No matter what position the other switches are in, the blower gives you the bridge PU in full (series) humbucker mode.

Maybe, but this was Tom's response when I asked the function of the switches ( I had guessed at a possible coil split/tap)

"the grand am was the same as the pro am but with a figured maple body. the on off on switches are series -off parallel for each pickup. the on-on switch bypasses the other three to turn on the bridge pickup in series, kind or like a solo switch. it is possible that someone has rewired it to split instead of parallel. the sk's were our first stacked humbucker. they were more scooped in the midrange than our current SD-1's. the hn3+ is our hottest humbucker. that was a popular combo for the late 80's and early 90's.

tom"

Not having the guitar to play with makes it harder for me to grasp the difference between the bridge bucker in series only and in parallel only.

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by 335clone

Maybe, but this was Tom's response when I asked the function of the switches ( I had guessed at a possible coil split/tap)

"the grand am was the same as the pro am but with a figured maple body. the on off on switches are series -off parallel for each pickup. the on-on switch bypasses the other three to turn on the bridge pickup in series, kind or like a solo switch. it is possible that someone has rewired it to split instead of parallel. the sk's were our first stacked humbucker. they were more scooped in the midrange than our current SD-1's. the hn3+ is our hottest humbucker. that was a popular combo for the late 80's and early 90's.

tom"

Not having the guitar to play with makes it harder for me to grasp the difference between the bridge bucker in series only and in parallel only.

:confused:

The Pro/Grand Ams were some of his first offerings, so they may not have that little dip switch thing. Just look inside, if it doesn't have the dips, just use your ears. You should be able to tell if they're set to either split or parallel by the noise (parallel being the silent setting).

• Members

COMING SOON! (but I can't define "soon")

gmax4.JPG

Forget everything you know about wiring. The future has arrived (sooner or later)...........a future where the above device will give all the pickup combinations imaginable inclucing series/parallel.... phase stuff.

And its programmable with a digital display.

Now is the wrong time to think about...... getting your little wiring done.

Wait for the above to come out if versatility is your pleasure.

Ok...... that said. I don't know what it will cost.

times have changed. It's not your daddy's guitar anymore.

gmax_in_lp.JPG

Archived