what are the types of tremolo are there in the market?

ninelives1980

• Members

Originally posted by themusicdude

if it's abuse you want an original floyd or and edge copy.

:)

-am

on floyd rose as mentioned above, is there any manufacturer that produces a better floyd as compared to the other floyds?

what's this edge copy? have not come across this as yet

• Members

Originally posted by ninelives1980

on floyd rose as mentioned above, is there any manufacturer that produces a better floyd as compared to the other floyds?

Original Floyd Rose or Ibanez Edge are often touted as the best on the market. I have an OFR and it is indeed a very nice tremolo. I've never really played an Ibanez Edge.

Schaller also makes a pretty good Floyd Rose.

• Members

Edge trems are Ibanez floyd copies with their improvements. Most people will tell you that the original Floyd is the way to go...Schaller produced a floyd that is also supposed to be good too.

Here's a thread that I searched for that might help:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1040274&highlight=floyd+comparison

• Members

someone do help me!

there's so many tremolos as produced by Ibanez; not sure what are their pros and cons though infos on their features could be found.

and another thing is, having a tremolo installed on an electric guitar; would it really make retuning difficult? like if I'm playing on standard E and to retune it to drop C for example.

For years, I have only played fixed bridge ; so bear with me

what's the latest tremolo from Ibanez anyways? Is it the 'ZR Tremolo'? Opinions on this for someone searching for a tremolo like me perhaps?

• Members

I would say the Original Floyd Rose is the best, Ibanez Edge Pro is the best of the imitators, with Schaller liscenced ones after that.

A floating tremolo is one which is balanced on two pivot posts so that the unit is not sitting on the guitar body like a standard Fender trem does. This enables pitch pull and push in both directions (provided you have enough space routed out behind the trem for the clamp screws)

• Members

Originally posted by oYx

agreed. if you are going to do a lot of tuning changes, avoid the floyd at all cost.

the ZR is one of the best trems i've tried. very smooth is all i can say.

1. by floyd, you mean generally all tremolos?

2. one basic question here; how does one retune an electric guitar with tremolo?

• Members

Jeff Hanneman of Slayer uses either Kahler or Shaller licensed Floyds, if they'll stay in tune for him they'll stay in tune for anyone! Unfortunately I have never played one.

When I'm in the money I'm going to replace the trem on my Washburn Dime 2ST becasue the cheap Washburn lic. Floyd bridges suck and won't stay in tune for even one of those trademark Dimebag natural harmonic pull-ups (having said that, I don't know who invented this technique).

• Members

floating tremolos will allow you to raise or lower the pitch, wich will let you do more tricks. a good floating tremolo has a good tunning stability as long as you don't change the tunning or the string gauge. that's because the floating tremolo is not fixed to anything, it will have strings pushing to one side and a set of springs to another. anything that changes this, like when a string breaks, will detune all the remaing strings.

to be able to change (not dramatically) tunnings or keeping the tunning when a string breaks, you'll have to have a tremolo that will settle against anything, like the guitar body. some people will change a floating for dive-only with, say, a block of wood that will keep the tremolo from going back.

• Members

1. by floyd, you mean generally all tremolos?

oops, i'm too used to calling a floating trem a floyd! :D

i'm not sure if all sorts of floating trem have that difficulty with tuning changes.

i know that with the parker fly trem, you can scroll a wheel to lock it into fixed position so that you can get it into a fixed position easily. i've only had a parker nitefly before, and it didn't have a wheel. i doubt you can just drop in a parker fly trem in any other guitar though, but i may be wrong.

• Members

gosh, i'm a lil' or very much confused here....!

anyways, by the way y'all mentioned on floating tremolos; just being curios what are the other types that falls into the category 'non floating'?

how does floating tremolos compare to 'non-floating' ones?

it's being mentioned in one of the posts above that the fender trem is non-floating; is this referring to the vintage fender trem which originated like in the 50s or something?

zr tremolo seemed to be the most advanced technology right now for ibanez as compared to all the versions of edge.

• Members

anyways, by the way y'all mentioned on floating tremolos; just being curios what are the other types that falls into the category 'non floating'?

it's being mentioned in one of the posts above that the fender trem is non-floating; is this referring to the vintage fender trem which originated like in the 50s or something?

zr tremolo seemed to be the most advanced technology right now for ibanez as compared to all the versions of edge.

If you want you can go the Van Halen route and stick a load of pennies(or anything solid) under the trem so that it has something to rest against. This means you can't raise the pitch, but you should be able to change tunings much easier(it won't pull it back to standard when you detune) and if you snap a string the others won't go sharp.

• Members

there's actually quite a few. personally, i have a fulltone supa-trem because it provides the most versatility, and i think it sounds the best (others differ in this opinion). the danelectro tuna melt is suprisingly good for the cost, and lots of people like the EHX Pulsar, though it's kinda big. other popular favorites are the keeley modded BOSS TR-2, the demeter tremulator, and the z'vex seek trem (a very weird effect).

• Members

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

there's actually quite a few. personally, i have a fulltone supa-trem because it provides the most versatility, and i think it sounds the best (others differ in this opinion). the danelectro tuna melt is suprisingly good for the cost, and lots of people like the EHX Pulsar, though it's kinda big. other popular favorites are the keeley modded BOSS TR-2, the demeter tremulator, and the z'vex seek trem (a very weird effect).

mmmm....nope, ain't talkin' about that kinda tremolo.

talkin' on guitar's tremolo bars.

:)

• Members

This site : electricguitar.50megs.com used to have a page that answers all of your questions. Unfortunately, it seems to have been taken down.

To answer some of your questions:

Basically, a 'non-floating' trem is one that butts up against the guitar body which only allows 'dive-bomb' or downward motion. A 'floating' trem is any that uses a pivot point and allows both upward and downward motion, ala Floyd Rose.

A 'classic' 6-screw Fender trem is normally regarded as non-floating as most people set it to rest flush against the body. However, it is possible to set one up to float by loosening the spings and making a few minor tweaks (only allows a slight raise in pitch, though).

'Floating', Classic-style tremolo:

p2023.jpg

'Non-floating', classic tremolo:

strat3.jpg

Hope that helps.

Archived