Mexican vs. Korean Telecaster?

JanoD

• Members

Hi guys, recently I've bought American '95 Telecaster Plus. A great one, abosolute confidence. However, I'm gonna buy another guitar, a cheaper alternative so I can still play when I brake a string during a concert.

I've found standard Fender Telecaster made in Mexico, which I know quite a lot about - not that good than American ones but still playable. But I've also found a Fender Korean Telecaster at about the same price but I've never heard of Fender Korean Teles before. Does anybody have any advice? Are Koreans more precise than Mexicans or it just depends from piece to piece?

Thanks a lot,

jan

• Members

The basic import version of Fenders are the Mexican models. The Koreans are often some "deluxe" type of model.

It's a hard question, but I'd generally lean toward the Mexican models since they are often described as American parts assembled in Mexico, whereas the Korean guitars are more likely to be Korean parts and labor. But the Korean made guitars have really improved a lot lately. Quite a few have American pickups thrown in to up the ante. If not, then a pickup upgrade is usually all that is really needed on the MIKs. But my prejudice would lean toward the MIMs for the possibility of a little better tonewood.

• Members

That's a fairly nice looking guitar.

I can tell it's not exactly a standard model since it has the 3-piece bridge going for it. Unless that's a modification, this must be some sort of vintage model.

It looks nice. It's probably worth a try and the worse scenario would probably be a need for some pickups with more character toward your desires.

• Members

i have a lite ash korean tele that i LOVE. i have been playing for 13 years and never considered a korean, but i have found that it don't matter where the damn guitar is made. each guitar is as different as every poster here. man play em all and even if it is made in f'n cambodial get it. if zakk or stevie played a jamaican guitar would you really care?

i have had my tele for a year and gigged with it like 40 times. absoulutely awesome.

Archived