usa fender telecaster standard '83

darksun

• Members

hi guys, iv been playing acoustic for some time now and am thinking about electric but dont know much, iv seen a '83 fender tele usa that i like, i play mostly blues is a tele good for that? also what type of strings do you recommend? im thinking about ernie ball super slinkies, thanks

• Members

Welcome to HC btw.

Anyway, jumping from acoustic to electric is nice. That's what I did and I mainly play electric now.

First of all, I love my strat for bluesy type tones. It has more of a bite and has that single coil quack that strats are known for.

A tele is a really fun and gorgeous guitar to play. It has more versatility than a strat IMO and you can play blues, rock, pop, alternative stuff, crunchy rhythm or sweet leads, or whatever. It seems like the tele is getting super popular among non-country players now too.

Keep in mind a budget. The difference between a $1300 and a $1500 acoustic can be massive. But a difference between a $300 to a $500 electric can be not so drastic especially if you're just starting. Try to go for a quality electric if you can afford it, but any MIM or MIK or even the MIC Agiles will do to start. I started with a MIK LP and it's still my main guitar (after a nice setup, pickup upgrade, and replacing a few crackly pots it blows away most Gibsons).

Remember, you still need a cool amp, effects, cables, more electrics, etc. It gets expensive but is fun as hell and well worth the addiction. I own a nice Larrivee and love to play it, but when it comes down to it, I like to pop in a back track, start up the amp and let loose.

• Members

A tele would be a fine choice for a first electric, and lots of genuine bluesmen (and women) use 'em. ;)

Strings, well what's more important is the gauge. If you have been playing acoustic exclusively get 10s at least, maybe even 11s, the lighter gauges will feel like noodles to you. If you plan on doing lots of string bends (which would fit in with the blues thing) be sure the 3rd string is UNwound.

Archived