Body Routing to lighten up heavy guitars?

Six Degrees

• Members

Hey guys. I don't post here too much, but I'm a pretty regular visitor to the boards. I've got a dumb question. I have a heavy-ish Dean HardTail. Is it possible to have some of the body routed to lighten the weight? And what are the pros and cons to doing it? I know that weight shouldn't really be a huge complaint, but I don't know; it seems like I'd like the guitar more if it was lighter. Thanks a lot in advance!

-SD

• Members

Please don't.

It's gonna be a different guitar when you're done, tonally, in terms of sustain, balance, etc.

Plus, I don't see where you would chop wood off a Hard Tail.

Get a different guitar before you ruin its value just to find out that you didn't like the results.

• Members

Originally posted by DracoAran

Please don't.

It's gonna be a different guitar when you're done, tonally, in terms of sustain, balance, etc.

Plus, I don't see where you would chop wood off a Hard Tail.

Get a different guitar before you ruin its value just to find out that you didn't like the results.

Yeah don't butcher your guitar man. You will regret it in the long run. If you play it more you will get used to it. You can always trade it in. If you drill holes in it it will loose all its value.

Archived