What do you think of these pickups for my Spalted Maple Guitar?...

baimun

• Members

I'm building this guitar that's a chambered alder body, with a spalted maple top. The F-hole is already cut, and I'm getting ready to route the neck pocket for a 24 fret Ernie Ball Music man neck I recently received.

I already have the chrome locking tuners with pearl knobs, as well as a chrome hipshot fixed bridge.

I'm considering the Seymour Duncan SM-2 and SM-3 Mini humbuckers as I believe they would give me the sounds I need while looking a bit classier on this guitar than larger, uncovered pickups.

spalt7.jpg

What are your thoughts?

• Members

Normally, I stick with my JB and '59 pickups... but I was drawn to these primarily for the cosmetic appeal.

Any experience with the sounds of the mini humbuckers? I can only go by the sounds on SD's website... I'm looking at the hotter two (not the vintage firebird one) primarily to use a 5 way super switch to allow some tapped combinations in positions 2 and 4.

• Members

Being a huge fan of Seymour Duncans, I actually love the logo. ;)

Looking around, I found a 3 way mini-toggle that has the extra terminals that will allow me to choose Bridge Humbucker, Both Split, and Neck Humbucker. Those are the three sounds I use the most and that teeny micro switch will be much more discreet looking than a 5 way slot. :)

• Members

I wish I had one... but the only figured neck i have right now is a 22 fret Fender neck.

An integral part of the design is a 24 fret, Ernie Ball style neck with heel-located truss adjusting wheel, and 5 bolts attaching the sculpted heel.

If you've never had the opportunity to wrap your hands around one of these neck joints, it's like living your entire life without ever tasting ice cream or something. ;)

musicman3.jpg

• Members

The neck is an Ernie Ball... I believe from a Silhouette model (the one in the picture is a Warmoth look alike) The heel shot in the other pic is my Ernie Ball Silhouette and the necks are identical.

The body blank was made by a luthier I found on ebay. He sells other chambered bodies with the same shape and different woods.

I already had chrome locking tuners with pearl buttons as well as a chrome hipshot bridge (similar to what's in the pic... kinda looks like a PRS bridge with the chrome that wraps around)

Besides, the chrome covers on the SD's will match great.

Archived