M-Audio Project Mix I/O

• Members

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProjectMixIO-main.html

Anyone use it, got an opinion, comment, etc? It appears to basically be an 002 on steroids, with 8 mic pres vs the 002's 4, for about 1/2 the price. Since the 002 mic pres never really blew me away, (I consider them usable but not spectacular) and my past experiences with M-Audio all being good, I figure this could be a nice way to step up (God i can't believe I'm going to give Digi more money) into PT compatibility again, since our 001 (with apogee front end) is done at 6.4. I know it's only a matter of time that someone comes here with a version 7 session and I'm screwed, having the controller would be nice, and, with an additional lightpipe interface, I have 16 i/o, which, combined with one of my MDR's gives me 40 inputs for remote recording (I'm considering selling one to help pay for this) which whie it cuts be back by 8 inputs for remote, I rarely have used all 48. Plus, often, while I have an M-box I need more than 2 i/o, but really don't need 24, so the M-Audio unit with the laptop would be ideal. If I need I can bring the Lightpipe interface and I've got 16, otherwise I bring the MDR.

So, what's the skinny, does it sound decent, is it worth the grand for the unit and the $250 for the M-powered software?

• Members

I wanna know too! I've seen it at the store for $1100 CAN and I thought it would be killer but I'm still hesitating. I did a search and one post reported some software problems.

It's an interesting unit. The store clerk said that since I own Cubase, I should look into the Yamaha unit instead as it has shown it's compatibility to Cubase.

• Members

Let me point you over here first, Yamaha 01X VS. M-Audio Project Mix, as this is the current discussion about the Project Mix (more so than the Yamaha).

As far as I know, no one's really come out and spoken about the quality, the most helpful review I've been able to find so far as been the one from AudioMIDI

The control surface itself is supposed to be really good, gives the mackie control and others in that price range a run for its money. The converters, pre-amps and audio interface is (supposedly) nearly identical to the Firewire 1814 unit, so expect the same performance and results there.

And as they've said in the Yamaha Vs... thread, if you aren't expecting a stand alone mixer, or something with great expandability, then the Project Mix is a good bet. Another thing to concider is 5.1 support as the project mix only has 4 analog outs readily available,where you could futher suppliment that with the SPDIF or ADAT outs, but that seems a bit troublesome to me.

OH, and one more thing... watch the price, it came out $999 initially (and you can still find it for that price pretty easily), but a lot of stores are starting to sell it for $1249 including Sweetwater, so its only likely that once the current stock sells out, you're going to be stuck with the higher price.

Archived