New Warmoth neck coming.. How should I finish?

chiro972

• Members

Spray on laquer? Or Minwax wipe on poly?

The poly sure seems like it would be easier. Anyone have any experience with doing this??

The neck is maple with a Pau ferro fingerboard, if that makes any difference.

I also want to refinish the neck on my squier 51, does anyone know if you can use wipe on poly on an all maple neck?

I looked on reranch, but they only describe using the laquer.

• Members

I have a Warmoth neck with a pau ferro board. The neck is goncalo alves (?). It is completely unfinished as both woods are oily and do not need a finish. I would not finish the pau ferro. It's very slick and feels great under the fingers. BTW, the neck is over 10 years old and I have never had a problem.

You may want to give the guys at Project Guitar a shout. HC forum member Shovelhead does amazing finishes. I wonder if he's hanging around.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/

• Members

I have used both, wipe on poly and nitro, on my necks. The wipe on is a lot easier and faster and you can get a good thin finish if you sand/wet sand/ buff.

the pau ferro doesn't need a finish, I have a warmoth all pau ferro neck it's my favorite! If you really want to finish the FB I used this on my rosewood board:
finishing oil :thu:

• Members

The neck is maple, only the fingerboard is pau ferro. I was assuming I should leave the fingerboard alone and was mainly referring to how to finish the maple.

I am going to stay away from tung oil, just because it voids any warranty from Warmoth. I guess I'll give the wipe on poly a try.

Anyone know if it can be used on an all maple neck? How would you work around the frets?

• Members
Originally posted by chiro972

The neck is maple, only the fingerboard is pau ferro. I was assuming I should leave the fingerboard alone and was mainly referring to how to finish the maple.

I am going to stay away from tung oil, just because it voids any warranty from Warmoth. I guess I'll give the wipe on poly a try.

Anyone know if it can be used on an all maple neck? How would you work around the frets?

I have two all maple necks that I finished with wipe on poly, one satin one gloss. Just wipe it on and rub it in around the frets, if you want later you can take a razor and take the poly off the frets, if you are so inclined. Just be judicious with the amount you use per coat, and that way you can avoid drips or runs.

You don't have to finish the FB if you don't want to, it's good with out a finish. But if you want to give it a sealed surface and a slighty darker hue ( like a fresh lemon oiling) use the link in my last post.:thu:

Archived