Whats the difference between...

silverbullet

• Members
Originally posted by silverbullet

Scale length of the neck aand total length of the neck.

http://www.gibson.com/Files/USA_PDFs/FlyingVpdf.pdf

The link shows the spec on a gibson flying v. Why is the scale length longer than the total length???

I suppose that this is due to the length of the fretboard itself being longer than the neck proper. :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by silverbullet

So the scale length is the length of the fretboard, and the total length is the length of the neck... ok.

Actually, scale length is the distance from the nut to the bridge saddles. I assume 'total length' refers to how long the fretboard is.

• Members

Originally posted by keNz

Actually, scale length is the distance from the nut to the bridge saddles. I assume 'total length' refers to how long the fretboard is.

Yeah, it looked like the "total length" was describing ONLY the fretboard itself. The scale is like KeNz said--from the nut to the bridge saddles (scale length is the length of the string that vibrates when you pluck/strike it).

• Members
Originally posted by acravero

Yeah, it looked like the "total length" was describing ONLY the fretboard itself. The scale is like KeNz said--from the nut to the bridge saddles (scale length is the length of the string that vibrates when you pluck/strike it).

What part of the guitar doesn't vibrate when you pluck a string? ;)

And you're welcome, silver.

Archived