Volume Pots and Capacitors

DarkCide

• Members

Well first I find it funny that your alter ego was helping me with wiring yesterday. Anyway, the diagram in there won't help, but this one might. The purpose of the cap IS to bleed off higher frequencies by connecting to the tone pot, so I am not sure what you're after. Look around at the seymour duncan site (under support) for a schematic that fits your configuration. Good luck:thu:

• Members

Have you ever noticed that when you turn your volume down on your guitar that it can get dull sounding? If so, here is a super simple mod that you can do to your guitar. All you have to do is get a 0.001uF film cap an solder it across the wiper of the volume pot (middle lug) and the outer lug that is not connected to ground. That's all there is to it. What this does is allows some of the higher frequencies to get through directly to the output when the volume control is turned down. Some guitars already have this cap installed in them, but a good many of the ones I have seen do not have this cap installed. I like this simple mod because if you like to use your volume control a lot, it helps you to retain some of the dynamics that would otherwise be lost. If the 0.001uF cap doesn't have enough of an effect for your taste, then try a 0.002uF or even a 0.005uF cap.

AND

Treble Bleed Capacitor Mod

Often as the volume control is turned down, the guitar sound seems to become more bassy and muffled. This mod allows some of the high frequency sound to "bleed" into the output as the volume is turned down, making the guitar brighter sounding at lower volumes.

To do this, I added a small .001mfd capacitor to the volume control, across the wiper (middle) tab and the upper tab (where the switch connects). Some prefer doing this mod with both the capacitor and a 150k fixed resistor in parallel with the capacitor, finding it to give a more natural tonal balance at lower volumes, but I find this also changes the taper of the pot, which I do not like.

At the right is a diagram showing what the wiring will look like if you do all the mods on this page.

• Members

you could be right...I recently ordered a pair of audio taper pots along with a pair of linear taper pots from GuitarElectronics.com. They shipped them to me with no labelling. I had to call them to tell me which were which. As I recall the audio taper pots have "GUITAR" or maybe "GTR" stamped on them (along with "500k" and other stuff). The linear taper pots did not have the guitar designation. Also the pot shaft on the audio tapers were silver colored whereas the linear pots had brass-colored shafts. Hope this helps.

• Members

Originally posted by Matter-Eater Lad

.022uf is usually on a Tone pot but if you take it off it's just a pot. You can use it as a volume pot just lose the capacitor.

I thought tone pots were linear and volume pots non-linear.

Archived