2010 Website Music Heat Map: The Stats are in

g6120

• Members

@g6120... im interested why you think BandCamp is the way to go. It seems like a good marketplace, but why shouldn't the band just create its own online store? 100% profit vs. paying BC to host (10-15%)

I haven't been very happy with Bandcamp. Granted, I'm not selling anything there, but the layouts are too limiting to create the necessary image for selling your product -- that is, unless you pay them... Both BC and ReverbNation just come off as sites that offer very little up front but will let you buy numerous tools to help you promote (while you could do most of them yourself) all on a network that is too small to really support any true notoriety.

• Members

Cospicuously absent:

itunes

Amazon.com

Music Match

Just a guess but maybe it's because Amazon is a very diverse web based retailer that sells everything. Not necessarily a place people go to listen to music, just to buy it.

iTunes is mentioned as well as My Space Music:

"It was unrealistic to accurately quantify MySpace Music this year* but if you remember from last year MySpace Music was in the same ballpark as Pandora. MySpace’s Imeem acquisition came to life, but, still, I can’t imagine they saw positive growth in 2010 since visits to MySpace proper declined 77% in 2010 according to Compete. Then there’s iTunes which is essentially not web-based and therefore unquantifiable on Compete. The itunes.apple.com subdomain used mainly for iTunes links including everything on iTunes—not just music—saw 60% growth in 2010. If it were on the map it would be 40% as big as Pandora."

• Members

@g6120... im interested why you think BandCamp is the way to go. It seems like a good marketplace, but why shouldn't the band just create its own online store? 100% profit vs. paying BC to host (10-15%)

great post btw

Trent

BandCamp is experiencing huge growth (378% last year).

I like it because it is simple and very straightforward to use. When I first joined there was no fee charged for sales and I got 100% of sales.

Now they do charge a fee but that's OK with me.

BandCamp allows me to upload my huge 24 bit/ 96 kHz master audio files and uses that as the basis for the audio they sell the customer.

The default format is 320k mp3 however BandCamp is unique in that it offers the customer all kinds of choices including FLAC, ALAC, AAC (iTunes m4p), Ogg Vorbis, mp3 VBR for "Audiophiles and Nerds" they say.

I like that it has no social network and no silly ratings and comments system + no advertising on your page. Very simple.

The Stats section is one of the best I've seen. Shows you up to the second data like number of listens, where the listens are coming from, how many hits on embedded players, tracks sales and downloads.

All very simple and easy to use and read.

Reverb Nation is way too cumbersome for my liking....confusing and takes way too long to navigate around.

I also tried digital distribution through Reverb nation and disappointing results.

In fact my sales at BandCamp (when I was charging) have far outpaced any other site.

Even now still get a healthy listening count (keeps track of full listens, partial and skipped too).

Download stats have been consistent.

However for any serious band making a living from Music a band website is a must. BandCamp works for part timer amateurs like me.

• Members

I still have a BandCamp site because I'm really lazy. You can make a better web site on your own if you have mad leet skillz, but that ain't me. I just wish they still let you give out unlimited downloads. Now they charge you after X many downloads. There are plenty of sites that don't do that, so that's my one gripe.

• Members

very cool, i feel you on all of that. my band's been searching for the best site, but, to put it loosely, they all kind of suck. i'm a firm believer that you can do it yourself, so we're developing our own online portal with a store, etc. gonna be a while but i'm stoked to have full creative control. currently exploring other revenue streams via online. any thoughts?

• Members

very cool, i feel you on all of that. my band's been searching for the best site, but, to put it loosely, they all kind of suck. i'm a firm believer that you can do it yourself, so we're developing our own online portal with a store, etc. gonna be a while but i'm stoked to have full creative control. currently exploring other revenue streams via online. any thoughts?

For me BandCamp has provided the biggest sales figures.

I like that payments come direct to my PayPal account as they are made.

Every once in a while I get a "Cha-Ching" e-mail from BandCamp from someone who has opted to donate purchase to support.

In the past I was charging for and selling songs but the listens were not many so I gave up on that and offered for free with whole album purchases giving the name your price option.

So now when I do get a donation purchase it's great because I know someone likes my music well enough to send money for it and support my efforts!

Not having my own website I use BandCamp as my portal.

Feedback I have gotten is that people like the simplicity, audio quality and download choices.

• Members

Bandcamp stinks if you're just trying to browse through their music. Unless you know specifically what you're looking for, it's a nightmare.

You're probably right. I don't browse music on BandCamp. I mainly use it as a point of sale portal.

• Members

More useful would be not traffic, but profit generated.

How much profit was generated from youtube plays? blah.

YouTube will cut you in on the advertising money if you get enough hits. It's really not even that many required. I was offered for a crappy video I shot at a Penn State game that only had around 2K views (legally had to decline, since I didn't own the rights to absolutely anything being shown).

Archived