50's reissue telecaster MIM tuner question?

modernscape

• Members

does anyone know what type of tuners are standard on my 2000 50's reissue mexican tele? They look like kluson? I wondering if they need to be upgraded to better ones? It seems they dont hold tune perfect. The main mods Ive made are upgraded to 52 ri usa pickups with cloth wiring. What would be the best tuners for holding tune that still have that 50's vibe? I want that same little round head tuner just the best? thanks Zach.

• Members

If you have tuning issues i doubt its the tuners. From my experience, the tuners themselves are fine on anything but the crappiest guitars. Check the nut and how youre wrapping them. Do they 'ping' a lot when youre tuning up? If so, the strings are binding in the nut. Do you using a tying technique like this - http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing2.html

If not, id recommend it.

• Members

the tuners have the open flat head section on top, not the hole in the center of tuning post. I shove all I can down the center of the post first and then wrap them. Its not that they are really moving that much, just enough to drive me crazy, I have owned lots of teles before 70's 90's its just that expecially the big E, A, D G they all seem to drop a little, I play a lot of country bending and steel guitar type leads. I wrap them at leat 3 to 4 times and I use 10's dadarrio. I really feel I need the real klusons or whatever is best? I think someone mentioned getting these similar type tuners from stewmac?

• Members

the tuners have the open flat head section on top, not the hole in the center of tuning post. I shove all I can down the center of the post first and then wrap them. Its not that they are really moving that much, just enough to drive me crazy, I have owned lots of teles before 70's 90's its just that expecially the big E, A, D G they all seem to drop a little, I play a lot of country bending and steel guitar type leads. I wrap them at leat 3 to 4 times and I use 10's dadarrio. I really feel I need the real klusons or whatever is best? I think someone mentioned getting these similar type tuners from stewmac? IF these are ping tuners what is the best?

• Members

I have the same tuners on my tele. When I first got it I too thought they were slipping and they were a big bother. Once I figured out how to load them and work with them they have not been a problem since. If I did decide to replace them just for grins I would probably choose the locking kind that appear on some of the USA Strats. Those are very nice tuners.

Archived