Eisen Audio DIY 500 series mic preamps

• Members

Eisen Audio is a cool guy named Jens Jungkurth in Long Island City, NY who is making high quality DIY kits for 500 series mic preamps with hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of options for transformers and op amps. http://www.eisenaudio.com for the full shebang.

Visited these fine folks today (they're right down the block from my studio) and walked out with 4 channels of Eisen mic preamps (3 different combinations of op amps, input, and output transformers) and 2 channels of Purple Audio Biz.

I'll be doing a long review, and posting a song that I record using only these 6 preamps with several microphones ranging from $100-10,000.

First impression? They're simple, yet look to be of great quality, and the build seems like it'll be extremely easy even if you're a beginner. Haven't passed any audio through them yet. Will get started on that tomorrow. I guess you could say I'm reserving this space for a cool song and an unbiased review.

Cheers.

• Members

read blog in sig for more details as they come. i'll post the end results here, just figured someone would want to get a play by play as i'm doing this whole thing.

by the way, the review will just be my own findings throughout the recording. you'll be able to hear it and judge for yourself (sort of. you don't know my room or my instruments). wonderful internet!

• Members

update:

yeah so i got started with this whole thing. very very pleased so far. input setup is as follows:

Eisen A: JFET-992 opamp, JLM Audio 1:4 nickel input transformer - Kick Drum (inside), Audix D6

Eisen B: JFET-992 opamp, JLM Audio 1:4 nickel input transformer - Kick Drum (outside), Soundelux E47

Eisen C: Hardy 990C opamp, 1973 Reichenbach input transformer, Cinemag 1:1 half nickel half steel output transformer - Room mic, Brauner VM1 Klaus Heyne Edition

Eisen D: Hardy 990C, Cinemag input transformer, nickel output transformer - Snare Drum, Audix I5

I've got a Royer SF12 over the kit going into two Purple Audio Biz preamps.

Guitar L is a Rickenbacker 360 through a heavily modded Marshall 100W plexi into a weird 4x12. Shure SM57 and Audio-Technica AT4033. 57 to Purple, 4033 to Eisen 1.

Guitar R is an American Fender Telecaster into a Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10. MXR Distortion + on the clean channel to avoid that amp's AWFUL "overdrive" and "distortion" channels. AEA R84 and Sennheiser MD421. R84 to Eisen 2, MD421 to Eisen 4.

Bass is some custom British P-Bass. Cool as {censored}. DI was Purple Biz in "dual" mode, input all the way up, output all the way down. Reamped to a solid state Traynor guitar combo, recorded with BLUE Kiwi in omni to Eisen 4.

Vocal yelling is an SM58 to Purple Biz in dual. Vocal singing is Brauner VM1-KHE into Eisen 4.

Various compressors and stuff will be identified and explained when the song is done and posted. I hope you like frantic mathrock!

• Members

almost finished. doing second guitar, vocals, and rough/hopefully final mix tomorrow night. be. excited. be be excited. be. excited. be be excited.

DRUMS ARE RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. WOULD HAVE BEEN INCREDIBLE IF I HAD A REAL DRUM KIT. WOW.

Archived