What are the three tones you need?

tdempsey

• Members

It depends on what you are doing, in all honesty. If you are playing in a death metal band, you will need some brewtal distortion and possibly a clean tone. If you are playing classic rock you might need a clean, a rythym, and a lead sound. If you are playing blues, sometimes you can get away with one tone and just alter pick attatck/volume knob on your guitar.

I own a POD XTL and I have to say after 4 months I am just starting to realize it's full potential. For my blues stuff (SRV, Jimi, etc) I have only one patch I use. It just breaks up when I pick hard and have the guitar vol. at about 7 ... I can turn that up and throw to the treble on my guitar and it's a lead. Technically it's one tone, but I can get about 4-6 great sounds out of it.

For metal/hard rock however, I have about 7-8 different tones that I like with varying levels of distortion for different songs.

All that being said, if you are only playing one type of music and you really don't even know if you like cleans or distortion or whatever, a pod might not be for you. Get a cheap tube amp and fiddle around with it. Get your lead player to help.

Archived