Damnit Ernie Ball

Devinstation

• Members

Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Sounds like user error to me.

Nope ... I got all the strings on there barely taught just enough to keep them on the bridge and in the nut, then tuned them starting at low E going up, got to high and used my computer's tuner (running it through a recording system really good tuner) and when I got to high E it was at D flat and it snapped, I've been using Ernie Ball power slinkies for over a year now and this has never happened, kinda pissed me off.

• Members

i noticed recently that EBs have crapy lock twists. so i either buy the RPS slinkies or solder the twists on the plain strings on the regular. they're also the quickest set of strings to die or lose their tone. but for me they're still the best sounding string of all the major brands thats why i still use them.

• Members

Originally posted by bcjames

Ive also noticed the kinda crappy turns on them now. Whats that all about?

I might try a different brand next time i restring my strat, but I love power slinkies on my gigging LP.

Power slinkies sound awesome with an LP for sure.

• Members

I always use regular slinkys and then got adventurous and tryed D'Addario stings and absoutely hated their tone. Took them off after about a week and tryed GHS Boomers and the high E snapped as I was tuning it. Ugh. The other five stings sound nice and wouldn't mind them but I think I am back to ernie ball for a while

• Members

What type of guitar were you putting them on when it broke and where did the string break? Is there possibly a sharp spot somewhere at the bridge, or a hang up at the nut? Either that, or a bum set, but if you're having repeated problems, try to note where the break happened-- maybe it's a spot on the guitar causing the breaking..

• Members

this can happen with ANY brand of strings... I've never had any problem with EB's... it's true they don't hold their tone for months and months, but I don't like the way brand new strings sound anyways. I like 'em broken in. EB's are great all around strings... Just look at all the people who use them... all those great guitar players/bands wouldn't use them if they were totally crap. Trust me.

• Members

I've had the same problem the OP is discribing with all three sets of D'Addario strings I've tried (from different stores, over two years). Tune em up and they'd break before they were at pitch.

I'll never try their electric strings again. Their acoustic strings are nice, though.

• Members

Try Rotosound strings, man. Free high E in every pack!

The snapping-before-pitch thing has only ever happened to me once, and it's a pisser. Almost as irritating as when you get a "dead string" in a set, which, thankfully hasn't happened to me for years and years.

• Members

As anybody previously said, this can happen with ANY brand. ANY. Period.

In my case my worst examples came with D'Addario and I can't blame the company. I have had 3 in 1 year and 2 of them (electric, acoustic) have broken a string at a very little use. I use Ernie Ball and SIT strings for both electric and acoustic; I have tried a helluva brands and widths and I find more comfortable with these, on 9-42, 9-46, 10-46, 10-52 (I have troubles in my fingers and thus have to go changing :()

If that break is regular, I mean, you use to break strings whenever you put new ones, maybe the problem is in the guitar or in the way you put 'em.

Archived