Fender Strat pickups: Alnico vs. Ceramic

etvetv2001

• Members

1)What are the major differences in Fender's alnico single coil pickups and the ceramics?

2)Why do the alnicos tend to be brighter?

3) Are the alnicos really superior quality to the ceramics, or just different?

4)Which do you prefer, and why?

5) How long has fender been using ceramic single coil pickups in some of their Strats, and why do they do it?

6) Are the ceramic single coils cheaper to make?

7) Is there any difference in noise in the two pickups.

Please take your time and answer all of the above questions that you can, but don't answer unless you know for sure. please don't guess. A lot of people don't know how to think critically, and take guesses as fact.

• Members

Originally posted by etvetv2001

1)What are the major differences in Fender's alnico single coil pickups and the ceramics?

2)Why do the alnicos tend to be brighter?

5) How long has fender been using ceramic single coil pickups in some of their Strats, and why do they do it?

7) Is there any difference in noise in the two pickups.

1) From the fender single coils that I have extensively tried (for ceramics: stock mexi strat pups, and vintage noisless; for alnicos: stock american strat pups, and 60's reissue - which is what I have in the neck and bridge of my charvel) I can say the generally the alnicos sound fuller and more complex, with a more pleasing chime to them.

2) I find the opposite to be true, the ceramic strat pickups have been brighter than the alnicos I've used. I think this comes down to the characterisits of the magnets. Since ceramic mags are generally greater output than alnicos, they are wound less than the alnicos, and with more windings you increase mids and bass while decreasing treble, which would explain the "brightness" discrepancy between ceramic and alnicos

3) Hard to say, but since it seems that fender is generally using ceramic on their cheaper models, Fender alnico pickups are generally higher quality than Fender ceramic. The only exception to this is the Vintage Noiseless (ceramic) which was featured a few years back on higher end strats, but they have seemed to fallen out of favor and have been replace by the SCN (different magnet than both ceramic and alnico) pickups.

4) Personally i prefer the alnico single coils for the reasons I listed in #1. Ceramic singles just seem to sound thin and lifeless to me.

5) Not sure how long fender has been using ceramics. They probably do it to cut down costs, since ceramic magnets are cheaper than alnico.

6) Well, it depends on the other materials used to make the pickup (lets also consider where the pickup was made as well), but with all variables constant (i.e. bobbin type, wire, type of coil and gauge, country of manufacture) the ceramic pickup will be cheaper.

7) Not to my ears

• Members

1) From the fender single coils that I have extensively tried (for ceramics: stock mexi strat pups, and vintage noisless; for alnicos: stock american strat pups, and 60's reissue - which is what I have in the neck and bridge of my charvel) I can say that generally the alnicos sound fuller and more complex, with a more pleasing chime to them.

2) I find the opposite to be true, the ceramic strat pickups have been brighter than the alnicos I've used.

Well our experiences couldn't be more different. I carried my new Fender Standard Strat (ceramics) to a guitar store last week and compared it to a Classic 50's reissue (alnico) and the 50's guitar was much much brighter sounding! I CANNOT imagine a Strat sounding any brighter than it did! The bridge pickup sounded like a telecaster pickup it was so bright. In contrast, the ceramics on the Standard were much fuller and warmer sounding. I've read pthers' comment on here about the brightness of the Classic 50s and 60's Strats compared to the Standards, so I just have no earthly idea where you're coming from. I just don't see audio perception differing that much from one person to another.

• Members

Well our experiences couldn't be more different. I carried my new Fender Standard Strat (ceramics) to a guitar store last week and compared it to a Classic 50's reissue (alnico) and the 50's guitar was much much brighter sounding! I CANNOT imagine a Strat sounding any brighter than it did! The bridge pickup sounded like a telecaster pickup it was so bright. In contrast, the ceramics on the Standard were much fuller and warmer sounding. I've read pthers' comment on here about the brightness of the Classic 50s and 60's Strats compared to the Standards, so I just have no earthly idea where you're coming from. I just don't see audio perception differing that much from one person to another.

The comparison you did was apples and oranges. The Classic series 50's & 60's strats are among the better Fenders coming out of Mexico. Yes, they are on the bright side. They have tone controls for a reason as does your amp. However, IMHO the classics sound like strats should sound...:o

• Members

Just different.

I can't speak about Fender's pickups. But my favorite pickups have ceramic magnets in them. Because they give me more output.

Yes I think they are. Because the 'co' in alnico stands for cobalt. And the price of that has been going up for years now.

Ceramic magnets are usually used for high output pickups because it's more powerful than alnico. But this is just a generalization.

• Members

so I just have no earthly idea where you're coming from. I just don't see audio perception differing that much from one person to another.

It sounds like you are just looking for the answers you want to hear. I've heard classic 50's strats are much brighter than american std's or similar anyway. If you are going to ask for advice maybe you should take it:confused:

Archived