I'm having some real annoying issues with my straplocks/strap button.

RoboCop00

• Members

I'm using Fender Strap Locks on my MIA Strat (how fitting).

Anyways, when I first got them, the hole at the top button was too big for the screw. Following the advice of some people, I glued a toothpick in there, let it dry overnight, and then inserted the screw. This worked for awhile but then it started to come loose again.

So the next time I used two toothpicks. This worked for a few months. Now my screw is becoming loose again. Almost every 2 days or so it becomes shakey. I don't know what to do or what's causing it. Could it be that the lock is connected to the screw at a bad angle and is pulling it weird? Or that it's rusted? Or is it the screw just not fitting in the body again?

Any tips?

• Members

What i do is break up a couple of matches into small bits, mix them with some wood glue or superglue and put the mixture into the hole. Screw the screw from the straplock in. The threads on the screw should have enough of the mixture to "bite into" and while it's being screwed in, the glue will be squeezed around the threads and seal the screw between the the inside of the body and the screw. Leave it a few hours and you're done.

If you use this method, be sure not to use too many pieces of toothpicks/matches whatever, as you might have trouble screwing the screw in fully. I find it's easier to use matches as their thicker size means there's more for the screw thread to gnaw into on turns.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboCop00

No, I'm not. I just put it into the toothpicks. I should try glueing the actual screw in?

I have had to locktight my screws on everyguitar I have or they come loose after a few days. Elmers White Glue in the hole before you screw will keep it solid for years.

Archived