P-90 super-strat -crazy? or no?

jmartin

• Members

Ever since I messed with that p-90 equipped guitar the other day,Ive had a gas for that tone. But-the guitar Im planning to build next I was planning as a 3x s.c. (strat-stlye) layout. But today I got to thinking....what if I instead mounted a p-90 type in the bridge position-then with the 5-way,etc have the best of both world's? the singles in neck/middle with the p-90 thrown into the mix,I imagine the tones would be interesting...I certainly like the tone of the p-90 better than the typical bridge position singles of a strat...but I like the #2/#4 switch combinations as well so....

I sketched it out in Kisekae to see what it might look like.whatya think?

ss90a.jpg

The basic specs will be Maple/Ebony Neck-Thru with Mahogany wings and a Walnut top. PRS tremelo in gold (excellent score off ebay!) Sperzel locking tuners,2x CSP Dual-Rail single-sized pups neck and middle,and (still not sure what brand/make) P-90 at the bridge.

• Members

Originally posted by jmartin

Ever since I messed with that p-90 equipped guitar the other day,Ive had a gas for that tone. But-the guitar Im planning to build next I was planning as a 3x s.c. (strat-stlye) layout. But today I got to thinking....what if I instead mounted a p-90 type in the bridge position-then with the 5-way,etc have the best of both world's? the singles in neck/middle with the p-90 thrown into the mix,I imagine the tones would be interesting...I certainly like the tone of the p-90 better than the typical bridge position singles of a strat...but I like the #2/#4 switch combinations as well so....

I sketched it out in Kisekae to see what it might look like.whatya think?

ss90a.jpg
The basic specs will be Maple/Ebony Neck-Thru with Mahogany wings and a Walnut top. PRS tremelo in gold (excellent score off ebay!) Sperzel locking tuners,2x CSP Dual-Rail single-sized pups neck and middle,and (still not sure what brand/make) P-90 at the bridge.

Looks sweet. You can do a HB sized P90 at the bridge. It won't be a true P90 sound, but it will rawk

• Members

Err. ya probably.May even end up going that route. But since I have cut the wood or started routing yet,im working with a clean slate so to speak. So I may just stick with a traditional P-90.

Im curious if anyone;s had an experience with the stacked P-90s-do they still sound like P-90s like the ads claim? Or does it turn into a muffled mess like the stacked singles for strats?

• Members

Originally posted by animl

Looks sweet. You can do a HB sized P90 at the bridge. It won't be a true P90 sound, but it will rawk

Two days ago I stuck a Duncan Phat Cat in the neck of my strat and it sounds real sweet. Its the bridge Phat Cat and a little hotter than their neck. I'm still messing with pickup and pole height and caps on vol. and tone but it is better than anything else that's been there.

• Members

Originally posted by PaulSter

I likes me some triple P-90s! I still get a decent pos 2&4 Strat quack--it's just thicker and not as strident as with regular SCs.

(I've never heard a stacked/noiseless design P-90 so I can't comment).

PaulS

P-90Strat6resized.jpg
PRSSoapbar2.jpg

Sorry to go off topic on ya Paul, but are the covers on the PRS cream or white? I'm looking everywhere for white P90 covers, but can't seem to find em. thx BTW, nice!

• Members

That's a similar setup to what I have...

I have vintage type single coils though, and a humbucker sized p-90...

I think you should do it! It sounds very good... nice rock tones out of the p-90, while still sounding good clean.. and I think the humbucker sized p-90 is a good route to go if you don't want to route your guitar or anything... they still sound good...

Have you looked at Bill Lawrence pickups? That is what I have (I think my setup is the 280-280-490 version) sounds pretty good... the single coils sound good too...

• Members

Originally posted by animl

Sorry to go off topic on ya Paul, but are the covers on the PRS cream or white? I'm looking everywhere for white P90 covers, but can't seem to find em. thx BTW, nice!

Thanks. The covers on the Strat are--how do I say?--VERY creme colored (almost too much so for my taste), whereas the ones on the PRS are just an off-white.

PaulS

Archived