Tex Mex vs. Standard Strat Pickups

etvetv2001

• Members

i'll tell you a lot of people favor the maxon 808 over the ts9...you ought to give it a try.??.

but you i've got a friend that's been playing since he was like 15 , he's 37 now , but he's been playing great for like 20 years or more & he too has a jap strat 57 re-iss, sunbust .frtes are gone . he retired it , but i've heard him pull off just about every song , within reason on it from the 60' 70' 80' s., he grabs his ts-9 from the 80's & sometimes a dunlop wah..but i've heard him on a 90' fender chorus amp & a pv bandit trans-tube & he just hits everything & i can hear {censored} in peoples playing . Frank is like a few other guys on here that are saying it is in your hands , i would agree most is , because even though franks got many tube amps , from carvin, marshall's , hiwatts, musicman, he had feners , & a few others ..he's got a tripple x , he plays thru & he can really get some killer blues /classic rock sounds out of it too..but he's usually just plugging into it or his trans tube & i can't believe the sound he gets out of the pv bandit ..but he pulls the carvin 100/50/25 80's model i think it has the eq on the ront & adjustable power ratings ..

i guess what i'm trying to say is he's 1 of the baddest guitarist i've known/ seen play & i know 50 yr olds that own music store that say he's the {censored} , that are very very good themselves ,

but i believe in the ability to achieve the tone your after is in your fingers & technic , then you can search out your tone to the T...but i'm also like you & many..& am after certain tones, & aways looking to imulate tones i think i like , better than others..gets costly...but ol' frank just hooked up a strat to an amp & got bad ass on the guitar & is 1 of the simplist players , that i've seen...but he at least bought himself a voo-doo strat when it came out ...but he knows how to use it & can enjoy it to its fullest ...you know what i mean ?..

anyway i had texas specials in a 2000 texas fat strat, & i traded it up for a 04 silver texas fat strat ..& people on the fender forum where talking about how they had to put the p/ups all the way down to the PG . Like in the 200-2001's ..like mine they were brighter , than my 2004 texas fat strats , singles ..fender must have started winding them differently..i liked the 2000's they were really in your face ..the 04's are mellower...the delta tones on my 03 strat are more glassy & chimy, like my buddy franks 69's in his voo-doo strat ..pretty close to my ears ..JMO....same ballpark....i tried some vintage noiseless..didn't like at all..so i put back the 03' i got off ebay, into the mexi fat strat ...i don't know ...good luck & please don't yell at me ...lol....but i think unless your just doing some really heavy type rock , the mim p/ups suck...JMO....kevin..............peace,,lol

• Members

Thanks a bunch for your great input Kevin! if your friend can get a great Strat tone out of Peavey trans-tube amp then he is indeed a magician! LOL! I used to have one myself! :D

Click on the link below and see what I've been doing all night. This came off the Fender Forum site and the link back to the forum is included on this page. But if you want to listen to Strat pickups compared by a good player who takes it very seriously, then you will be in pickup heaven as you download and listen to these! Thanks again buddy! :thu:

http://magnets.lonelyfridge.com/

• Members

i agree about the trans-tube ..he said i ought to buy 1,& i did , but the thing just sounded sterile to me ,, & i'm sure to you to ..

frank, just gets killer tone out of whatever he plugs into , he plugged into a twin reverb SF'd at an open gig , bar last month . When i was down visting & he was pulling war pigs & skynard & ac/dc & much more out of it . The bikers that told him to plug into the pedal board & other amp where blown away by his playing & pissed off . I guess & the tone he pulled out of there twin, he was even playing there yamaha pacifica..lol..his voo-doo strat in the case behing me ...but he blew the scene up ..our old drummer that drums & sings the songs , invited us there & i thought he was cool w/ these guys , but i'm thinking he wasn't. oh he play'd , red house & caste made of sand , or purple haze ...he covers a lot ...he just tares it up , thats all..& the tones he pulls out of the trans-tube i can't understand ..good luck on your search man...i've found mine ..an 82 jcm w/ a v12 eminence, w/ a weber mass 50 watter ..a 03' usa strat white w/ rosewood neck..a 04' usa texas special fat strat silver w/ rosewood neck..livingroom a 99.00 MF shipped 10 watt galaxi epi amp, w/ NOS RCA 12ax7..loooper mini a/b/y pedal , a tu-2 boss tuner, a tonebone classic, a 60's fuzz ,a dunlop classic wah, w/ fasil inductor ... , roland micro cube ..so, so...oh & a mexi fat strat with 03' usa pick-ups in neck & mid, mexi hum in bridge ..beater , black w/ rosewood neck..guitar .....that's my crap & a little pile of NOS tubes ..Jan's & RCA's..new tubes EH & jj's ..& GT's in the marshall.......oh frank can even pull off some impressive SRV w/ the trans tube 2000 model..pv...scary ..lol

Archived