Retail store jingle - what to charge?

• Members

I've been approached about doing a jingle - actually it's in the works, for a local large furniture store. I know the family who owns it. They want one 30 sec & one 60 sec spot, with lots of room for voice-over, etc. Will air both local AM, and regional FM.

How do I determine what to charge them? I'll do the writing, recording, producing, etc. I know I can't charge what the " big dogs" do, but where do I start? What do the pros charge?

Thanks,

G:wave:

• Members

Wow, that would be only $150 for a 30 second jingle...

I hardly open my guitar case for that, yet alone spend hour upon hour arranging, recording, mixing, etc...

I was thinking more 6 to 10 times that - or more - am I way off base?

I will say last year we did 5 Christmas spots - 30 sec each - traded for a $2800.00 mattress set... yes, I sleep well

Helped that the Vice President of Simmons Mattress comes in to listen to me when he's in town...

• Members

I would certainly expect more. Maybe he meant for every second spent tracking in the studio?

:D

I'm thinking he meant for a straight commercial with no hire out talent and just library music or minimal SFX.

And it still sounds cheap but things are tough these days... ;)

But, obviously, an original jingle is a whole different animal. I mean, just imagine what you'd have to charge if it was a union date with live musicians.

That said, I just don't think THAT happens anymore -- not even much at the national TV spot level. Listen to the music under a lot of TV commercials -- a lot of it was done with library music or ACID or similar.