Tokai suggestions...

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

I ve been toying with the idea of getting a 2nd Tokai LP. I already have an LS85Q and it really killed on the spot any Gibson LP it met (not an anti-Gibson comment please). A UK top luthier commented on the very high quality of the instrument/resonance etc etc... so anyhow.

I am looking at the following Tokai models.

LS80F (same as mine but with flame top)

LS150 (non-veneered flame maple top, 1 piece body, US pots, nitro finish)

LS195 (non-veneered 5A flame maple top, 1 piece body, US pots, nitro finish).

Now the thing is, veneer or no veneer really plays no role sonically imho. Same can be said for the 1 vs 2 piece body. However i would like your opinion in this.

LS80F 550GBP

LS150 750GBP

LS195 899GBP

Problem with the LS150 is that it is in VERY limited supply.

Is it worth fishing out the more $$$ for the extra specs which could be "better" in theory and not practice, since my 2 piece body LS85Q is already a killer.

I fancy the LS80F for the simplicity and ruggedness of the thin poly finish and the lower price.

I fancy the LS150/195 just for the extra "kudos" factor and i dont know if the extra $$$ will really equate into extra quality.

Thanks

Yannis

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I hate nitro so I say don't waste your money.

Do they have any models with a 60's neck or are they all the 59ish one?

They got the 59 neck as far as i am aware which i like a lot.

Basically, nitro scares me a lot... special stands, polishing etc etc...

• Members

Hi,

I have a Tokai Love Rock Custom shop model.....not sure of the designation!

It is a one piece body, solid highly flamed maple top, nitro and came with Seth Lover SD pickups. I changed them for two Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays and it is an awesome sounding, playing and looking guitar!

I also have 5 real Gibsons. The one i play the most and always record with? The Tokai.

build quality is excellent.superior to all my Gibsons except one...a very nice 335.

When i play it i can't see the headstock.it feels like a really great Les Paul.I got over the name on the headstock a long time ago.:D

• Members

I dig the LS80F for the matte finish. That is what I'd get if I had to have another Tokai.

So you reckon the slightly longer tenon, the 1 piece body and the flame cap vs veneer and the 400$ extra cost is not worth it against the hassle of the nitro finish right?

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

So you reckon the slightly longer tenon, the 1 piece body and the flame cap vs veneer and the 400$ extra cost is not worth it against the hassle of the nitro finish right?

To me....heck no. That stuff is all cosmetics and nitro is too delicate (read: pain in the ass) for my tastes. And it can get a sticky feel to it.

• Members

To me....heck no. That stuff is all cosmetics and nitro is too delicate (read: pain in the ass) for my tastes. And it can get a sticky feel to it.

Point taken... the extra cash can get me a MIJ tele ;)

so LS80F here i come :D:D

Archived