fender neck gaps

shaun79

• Members

ive just got a quick question. i have an american strat that i feel is the perfect guitar for me. the only problem i have with it is that there is a neck gap that i can easily fit a business card in. i have other cheaper strats that have no neck gap at all and i really want to know if this is a fixable problem. i think it might improve my tone and help my confidence with that guitar. anyways could a guitar tech fix a gap in the neck and how much would that cost?

• Members

I really dont think a tight neck pocket is as necessary as many think (my own opinion). My 73 strat has an extremely loose pocket and it has excellent sustain and tone. Its more important for the neck to be sitting flat and tight against the pocket, if the sides arent contacting the neck tightly its not a big deal.

I ahve fixed loose pockets however by placing a thin layer of clear packing tape on the neck, and mixing up some epoxy/filler (like microbaloons or fine sawdust) into a peanut butter consistancy, and then smearing it onto the end of the neck and sides, and reattaching it. Make sure you wax the screws. WHen the epoxy dries you can remove the neck, and peel off the tape. Clean up the pocket area and touch up the finish and you have a tight fit pocket.

AJC

Archived