Dearmond M70/M72...what's the difference?

nexialist

• Members

I have an M-72 - it has a chambered body (but not much, it's still pretty heavy), and a flat, flamed maple top. I believe the M-70 has an arched top and has a solid finish - I don't know if it's chambered. They both have Goldtone pickups ,which are amazing. I've owned many guitars,including Gibsons and Fenders, and I would have to say the M-72 is possibly the best sounding one I've owned. I would guess the M-70 is pretty similar.

• Members

Originally posted by Dougdnh

I have an M-72 - it has a chambered body (but not much, it's still pretty heavy), and a flat, flamed maple top. I believe the M-70 has an arched top and has a solid finish - I don't know if it's chambered. They both have Goldtone pickups ,which are amazing. I've owned many guitars,including Gibsons and Fenders, and I would have to say the M-72 is possibly the best sounding one I've owned. I would guess the M-70 is pretty similar.

Dougdnh,

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have an M70.....Looks just like this one: http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/SNAMM99/DeArmond/M70.html

I am amazed at how it resonates when played unplugged...it rattles my leg almost like a good acoustic.

Reminds me of the old Guild M-75. It's all solid and has a flat top You can see the grain thru the transparent finish . Iit doesn't sound like the M72 is much lighter.

I'm really an acoustic guy so I'm not (yet) a good judge of electric tone . I can say really like the way it plays and handles. it plays like butter

As far as fret size they are bigger than acoustics...they are just about 3/32".

Cool guitar......I got my eye on a DeArmond Starfire now:)

Dan

• Members

Originally posted by nexialist

the M70 has a slanted stop bridge, the M72 has a regular straight stop bridge...otherwise look the same.

Is the M72 hollow body, meaning lighter? ..tonewise?

The M-70 has the slanted stopbar and no binding on the body. The M-72 has the standard stopbar, bound body and neck.

The GoldTone pickups are fabulous. But, even with the chambered body, it's still relatively heavy. Tone is worth it, though. Truly sweet, with a clear top end. The least muddy of the humbuckers I've heard, and it overdrives my Fender Musicmaster Bass amp beautifully. Very pretty instrument, too. Mine's Crimson Red Transparent.

• Members

Yea, and the M72 is a good looker too.

The M75 looks just like your M72 but with a harp tailpiece.

Did you ever one?

Seems like the stopbar would directly transmit more energy/tone than the harp tailpiece......more rock n roll. Or does it just result in a different sound?

Dan

• Members

I guess i was mixing the M-70 up with the M-75. The M-70 was probably the cheapest, plainest, followed by the M-72, then the M-75 then the M-77. The frets are a little on the thick side, but not really jumbos. I can't reall find any fault with my M-72 other than it's a little flashy with the silver and gold hardware, and clear knobs, but it makes a great blues axe.

Archived