Considering an epiphone dot

jrm27

• Members

Hey guys:

I am considering getting a used epiphone dot. I need a backup guitar, and thought it would be fun to experiment with semi-hollows. There's a guy locally selling one for a decent price that I'll be checking out soon. It sounds like an older (3 or four years old) model. At any rate, could I get some input on these? I'm most likely going to switch the pu's out for some gibson 490/498 that I have sitting around.. at which point I'll probably get an RS kit to redo the electronics of the thing. Any other words of wisdom? Stuff to look for? I wish it had a bound neck like the sheraton, but since its a backup, I don't really need to be that picky. I'm also looking to use this guitar to learn to tech on (setups, pu changing, etc..) Any thouhts? Thanks!

(anyone got one they are selling?)

-jon-

• Members

I have one- I bought it about 9 yrs ago- It still is one of my faves! It is very good quality, and sounds incredible, my only complaint is that I guess from usage there appears to be a short when I move the guitar cable, I can hear it cut in and out, and doing repairs on a semi hollow body- you have to fish out the parts from the F holes. All in all it is an awesome guitar! Go For It!:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by GUITKRAZY

I have one- I bought it about 9 yrs ago- It still is one of my faves! It is very good quality, and sounds incredible, my only complaint is that I guess from usage there appears to be a short when I move the guitar cable, I can hear it cut in and out, and doing repairs on a semi hollow body- you have to fish out the parts from the F holes. All in all it is an awesome guitar! Go For It!
:thu:

Do you still have the stock pick ups?
If not..what did you put in..and how do they compare?

• Members

I've had a Dot Deluxe for about 4 years or so. I think it's the same as a Dot but has gold hardware? Im pretty sure it was Korean. Anyway, once I got it set up ... I really liked it. It plays really well etc... My observations ...

The pick ups are fine, (they're supposedly Gibson PU's) ... I really like the neck PU, the bridge maybe not as much .... but I see little point in changing them .... they work really well for jazzy clean tones, slightly distorted blues sounds and have plenty of umph if you want to beat the crap out of your amp ... I've had to go through my amp several times tightening everything up. In a band situation you'll need to be either way out front soundwise or you'll need to EQ things a little thinner to get the sound to cut.

The electronics, (switches / jacks etc), are pretty crappy. Right out of the chute I started having problems with them. I haven't changed them yet .... but I'm assuming sooner or later I will have to. The toggle switch doesn't always "toggle" .... which means I won't toggle on stage .. which sucks.

The nut is a piece of plastic crap. I replaced it in short order with an Earvana .... best move for this guitar. I was getting string binding and the thing wouldn't stay in tune any time I bent a string ... very frustrating. The Earvana works like a charm and improved the intonation. As a temporary measure I would put graphite pencil dust in the string slots.

The factory set up was with extra light strings ... I went up to lights ... they just seem to be a better fit for the guitar.

Supposedly, when I got it, it had stickers on it indicating it had been set up by Gibson techs in the US. I think they must have checked to make sure it had strings on it and that was about it. The jack nut was loose, the screws holding the pick guard were loose etc... I had to got through and check everything. Supprisingly really because I think the woods, finishes etc. are all really very good.

My main guitar is a Parker Nitefly, I got the Epi as a back up and as something different. It hasn't seen much stage use ... the Parker works so well for most of what I do ... but I really enjoy playing the Epi when I'm just messing around.

Archived