Am I kook? Guitar build Idea...

voneville

• Members

So I'm kind of diggin the Reverend guitar vibe, but I don't want to buy one, especially after hearing so many mixed reports on the MIK ones. And I've never actually heard one, I just like how they look.

So it got me thinking about building a guitar and I'd like to know what you guys think.

A thin body semi-hollow with a maple top/back in a shape similar to a jazzmaster. Possibly an F hole on the top (maybe a cateye?)

I have a Bigsby, a P-90, and a Squier Tele neck that I really like. The only thing I would need to buy is a new bridge (mustang style from warmouth?) and of course the materials for the body.

Any idea's on what kind of block to use for a semi-hollow? I was thinking swamp ash or alder, or possibly mohagany.

Also, is it really worth building this as a semi-hollow? Or am I better off just building a solid body? Will I get the sound of a semi-hollow? I'm really looking to get a sound similar to an Epiphone Sorrento, but with a smaller more ergonomic and less "rockabilly" body style. I do realise that a bolt on neck and the fender scale length might not exactly get the sound I'm after, but if I can just get the general vibe that would be cool.

Archived