PICKUP GURUS!! Tex Spec Question!!

CrackerD

• Members

So I pickup up this USA strat for 100 bucks a few months ago (I think the guy needed drugs). It came with some wacky me'tal-dude pickups (Hot rails, Jb jr, YJM neck) that some 'tard wired and it was all jacked up. Unshredable.

SO, I snagged a set of Texas Specials to stick in it. I go to stick them in and find the dang mounting screws (came with the p'ups) don't seem to want to thread into the pickup!! It goes through the guard and cover okay, but will not thread in!! It's not really even close!!??? WTF is up with these dealies?? Do I have to tap the damn things??

Any Stratocaster know-it-alls ever have this problem???:confused: :confused:

I am kinda stoked to have a strat now, since it was so cheap and it's gonna be my first full-on wiring job.

Also, I was gonna use 250 pots for tones, and a 5oo for volume. Is that semi-correct?? Thanks in advance....:thu:

• Members

Thanks!

The thing is, the screws were INCLUDED with the TexSpec set!! They came from fender! They fit all my other pickups, but don't fit the pickups they came with!! Grrr. I have no idea what size the holes are on the pickups, I only know they are too small!

Thanks also for the diagrams!!:thu:

• Members

Aight! There was a bunch of wax from the potting that I removed, but sheesh, they are NOT going in!! The wax made it even more of a fubar.

I will try again this evening. I'll borrow a cycle of 'roids from my neighbor , Barry, and have another go. I might try to ream 'em just a tad to get the threads to take.

:cool:

• Members

Yeah, tried that!!! Friggin Fender. Sub-par screw holes right next to expensive "Custom Shop" logo!!! Double Grrrrr.

They do appear to be nice pickups though. I was surpried by the decent quality.

I think I will just ream the hole a hair 'till the screw starts to grip. Problem is, if I f**k up, then their goes adjusting the dang things!! :mad:

• Members

I'll try the 'ol power screwdriver. Thanks!

I should mention that I do realize that the screws cut their own threads, and have done probably 10 pickup swaps in my 20 years of playing. None of the other pickups have been quite this tight.

• Members

Yeah, These are hard to do. You really have to press hard, but carefully to get the screw to thread into the flatwork without splitting it (either ripping the hole, or delaminating the fiber bobbin material). I usually will try to get the screws to thread in before trying to mount to a pickguard. For example, put the pickup standing straight up on a table with the wires hanging off of the edge (so it sits flat against the surface) and carefully hold the screws while pushing and turning the screw driver hard so that I don't slip and jab the coil. Once you've gotten it to screw in once or twice, it's much easier with the pickguard in the picture. Best of luck all!

Archived