Thinking of buying an Ibanez S520.

Sir Don

• Members

Anyone have any opinions on these guitars? I love the tremolo setup and I've been an Ibanez "s" series fan for years. Are the pickups any good? I have a pair of EMG's that I could put in it if they are better than stock pups. Cheers.

• Members

I recently picked one up on ebay. Its a wonderful guitar. Mine is the WNF finish (dark walnut) - its a see through, the body wood is beautiful. It doesn't have the original pickups in it. The previous owner put a DiMarzio Evolution in the bridge and a SD'59 in the neck. It has excellent lead tones and playing "metal" with my band, it holds its own just fine. I think with EMGs you'd do great. They were only made for 2 years I think. I love the necks on the S series, they are very fast. When I got it, I just had to make some truss rod adjustments, lower the action a bit and tweak the pickup heights. Those older japanese ones are slowly starting to become popular.

• Members

the ZR trem is very smooth, but some pple seems to have problem wif the arm holder crapping out.... do a search on jemsite, u'll see wat I mean.

that said, why not go used on ebay, u can find prestige s ard $400 - $600.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by DreamTheaterFan

How are those stock pups? Nice and fat?

They can get pretty fat. The guitar is an awesome purchase but I noticed your display name. When I want to play DT's stuff I feel kinda sad knowing I can't go up to the 24th.