Am I playing too quietly?

hare.29

• Members

So I live in an apartment and don't get my amp above 3 when I play. I primarily use the clean channel and a double fuzz for just a bit of OD. But I like my sound. However, when I switch to headphones (after 9 or so) no matter how much fiddling I do with settings/pedals/etc. I always sound too distorted. That's trying a couple of the combo or cab sims on my amp (behringer GX-110).

So am I playing too quietly normally and just not hearing things well enough? Is there something I should be using instead of the amp with headphones?

• Members

Is the Behringer a modeler? I ask because most headphone ouputs on amps sound like ass. THat is, you're only getting your signal affected by the preamp section through the headphone; neither the power amp nor speaker are in use, so your tone is going to generally sound fizzy and thin.

There are exceptions. SOme of the modelling amps have decent headphone outs. If you want to practice with headphones, you might try a Line6 POD or Behringer VAMP, or any other of the countless other modelers available.

*EDIT:

You might also check to see if you have to change a specific setting on your Behringer for headphone use. I have a POD and discovered early on that if it isn't configured correctly for headphone/PA/amp usage, it can sound terrible.

Archived