Squier Standard Tele; 'all that' and then some!

Ebsy

• Members

Well, for the past few weeks I've been GASsing big time for a telecaster. the first initial thoughts were to get a Fender Lite Ash (with help from people on this forum no less), but then I started looking at the cheaper alternatives. None of the shops were I live have Lite Ash tele's in stock, but one particular one had a few various telecasters (Fender Thinline's, Squires etc.) So I asked for a quick test of a lovely blonde Squier Standard Tele they had on the wall.

Admittedly I'm no expert on guitars, but this 'cheap, crappy, indonesian rubbish' (words I've heard to describe them before) sounded GREAT to my ears. I spotted a MIM Standard on the wall and asked to play that for comparison. Admittedly the neck felt a bit nicer on the MIM (different radius I think) but I've probably left myself open for some serious flames here but soundwise there was little (if any) noticeable difference.

The biggest advantages the lite ash had over the squier are the birdseye maple neck and the seymour duncans, but now my opinions on Squiers have totally changed and getting one over the lite ash is now a serious consideration.

If only I could get my hands on a Lite Ash to compare :(

If anyone could post their opinions on the Squier Std Tele's it'd be much appreciated!.

Maybe someone who has a Lite ash can post a clip or two for you. It sounds to me like you have to let your ears do the thinking for you. I am no expert but I have been impressed by Squier products lately and in all honesty would probably get a higher end Squier than a lower end Fender.

I have a Fender Nashville that I love but I also love my two squier guitars that I love as well.

• Members

I'm a new convert to Squier as well. I'm definitely past the honeymoon stage with a Squier Standard Series Strat that I bought about a month ago. It's still awsome and stays in tune. I did have to play through a few to find a good one though. I'd say nothing below a Standard series though for me. The Affinity series, although a bargain at the $150 price point, is just too rickety. For $30-$50 bucks more (to step up to Standard) you get what I would say is about $200 more instrument.

• Members

thanks 1esotericguy
From what I've read, a lot of people say to stay well away from the affinity line. I'm definitely tempted to go back into the shop on Monday and pick up that squier std tele. I like to tinker you see, so I planned on upgrading all the electronics in the Lite Ash anyway (apart from the duncans of course) and experiment with different wiring options. With the money I'll save on buying the squire, I'll put some Grover tuners on there, a Black pickguard and upgrade all the wiring and still have money left over! I'll upgrade the pups eventually, but it looks like I'm definitely heading down the squier route this time!. (never thought I'd say that!) :thu:

• Members

bump...and a couple of quick questions...

Will the Fender standard pickguards fit the squier standard?.

Also, I'm thinking about installing one of those compensated 3 saddle bridges...will this require drilling etc.?

Thanks.

• Members
Originally posted by Ebsy

bump...and a couple of quick questions...

Will the Fender standard pickguards fit the squier standard?.

I don't know, but you should be able to tell by counting the screw holes and then comparing to an example on stewmac.com.

Some of those parts may be a little goofy... I replaced the electronics in a Squier P-Bass special recently and the aftermarket standard- size input jack didn't want to fit into its plate! The outer edge was like 1/2 a mm too thick or something. :freak:

As to the bridge, I couldn't tell you.

• Members

If the squire "speaks" to you, go for it. You gotta look past the headstock when hunting a good player. This is espically true with fender (and other big manufactures) as they produce so many and there is a variance in quality.

• Members
Originally posted by SMC

If the squire "speaks" to you, go for it. You gotta look past the headstock when hunting a good player. This is espically true with fender (and other big manufactures) as they produce so many and there is a variance in quality.

+1 :thu:

Go with what feels and sounds great to you reguardless of what is on the headstock or the country of origin...

Tha t having been said, the one lite ash Tele that I played was a great instrument that I really wanted, but I got a Nashville Tele instead (price was an issue at the time).

• Members

You seem to like the Squier and, like you said, the extra money you save will go a long way toward upgrades. It always seems that any pickguard change requires a few toothpicks and a little drilling. I say go with the one that feels good to you....Squier.

Archived