any tips on stripping finish from plywood body?

CaveDweller

• Members

the finish appears to be some sort of plasticky enamel. i think i might try a heat gun on the back first,...or should i try a paint removing chemical? maybe it IS a waste of time but i'm determined to try anyway. the guitar is a cheapie but i'm quite attached to it (except for the sparkly blue paint job). just looking for advice on the correct procedure from someone who may have tackled a similar project before. i'm more than happy to accept whatever crappy look the plywood reveals underneath,..i just want the paint GONE. cheers.

• Members

Originally posted by bond

^^ to true

chuck that body away and get a real piece of wood

ment to quote bond sorry. He is a noob IRL. Im currently giving him guitar lessons. Please ignore everything he posts on these forums. ;)

• Members

Be careful using a heat gun. The glue used to hold the ply's could do two things....release harmful vapors and/or cause the ply's to seperate. Personally, I'd do as suggested......chuck the body and take a stab at building your own body.

• Members

thanks for the (varied) responses. i'm "going in" anyway. if i wreck it beyond all hope,..well then i'll consider buying/building a solid wood body. AT ANY RATE it'll be good practice for me before i start to strip/rout my ALL ORIGINAL/MINT 1959 Stratocaster. cheers and chuckles..... :D

• Members

Originally posted by Bruce Bennett

personally I use a heat gun..

the fumes can make for a fun job!
:D

now THAT'S what i'm talkin' about!!! i've got an "Industrial Strength" heat gun,..some paint thinner,..some finish stripper AND a big jug of acetone. i should be good to go.

p.s. my "finish stripper" IS NOT named "Anita Pantsoffson"

:)

Archived