Should I get a 59' Gibson LP or a PRS Custom 24 artist pack with 10 A flame top...?

markom89

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by onbongos

get the LP. the PRS can cost as much as it wants and it's still just a LP copy and you know it
:p

:rolleyes:
Yeah especially when the copy stays in tune better,sounds clearer and all.

Oh and the copy hasn't needed a setup in the almost 5 years i've had it :D

• Members

Originally posted by markom89

its just that I realy want a new guitar that I can play for my gig next month (my first gig)

The best advice you're going to get: do NOT take an R9 or a PRS Artist to your first gig. It'll only end in heartache.

• Members

I prefer PRS over Les Paul. They're much more comfortable to play and sound just as good. I agree though that the artist package is pretty much a waste of money. A PRS at half that price will sound and play just as good, and will look substantially less pretentious.

Both are great guitars. I just find Les Pauls awkward to play.

• Members

My opinion? There's no comparison. The Les Paul is the ONLY choice for me (any of the Historic Les Pauls). I've just not found any PRS that compares with the Historic Les Pauls for the tones that I like. Even with pickup swaps, I ended up selling 2 of the 4 PRSs that I had after I got the Historics.

But then, everyone has different tastes. Go and play a few of each and decide which one fits you better for now, because eventually, you'll end up with both anyway.

• Members

Les Pauls are more versatile, not in the different tones you can get, but in how well the tones available match so many different types of music. PRS tone has never done it for me, nor do the necks, but they are gorgeous.

• Members
Originally posted by Fosse Fox

How very rare it is that you can say that in a public place, prefer chimps meself

I love the Intellectual High Brow Humor I find on this forum...This would have gone over the heads of those in the Bass Forum or the Drum forum :D *ducks a flying Drumstick*

Oh yeah As for the Les Paul vs PRS question I agree with this

Originally posted by Treborklow
Get the LP. If you buy the PRS you will always still want a LP. If you buy the LP you'll forget about the PRS.

• Members

PRS are better guitars all around in terms of quality, construction and customer service. I own a PRS Custom 24 and 22. I like the 22 better because with a 24 fret guitar the neck pickup is pushed closer to the bridge which makes you lose some neck pickup growl. Also the entire orientation of the guitar neck is a bit different. I would choose a PRS custom 22 or a Single Cut 22 over the Gibson. Gibson's quality control sucks as does their customer service. Furthermore their CEO Henry J. has screwed a lot of independant dealers so I try to discourage people from buying a new Gibson.

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

Neither. You aren't going to sound any better or look any cooler or play any better with either. You just look like you're having a mid-life crisis or something....
:D

Or a quarter life crisis, in his case.

• Members

What does R9 stand for?...Im guessing the R has something to do with Reissue?...and man I realy dont know what to do, Im getting totaly mixed responses, I mainly use my MK IV, actually I use it alot more than the Marshall...and I do kinda like the 59' just a little, little bit more than the PRS for some reason, why do you guys think that PRS build quality is better?...in the Gibson custom shop its just one dedicated dude working on your guitar, opposed to the normal gibson factory were theres like 20 people per every guitar... and I equally love the look of both guitars, maybe the PRS a bit more, but overall feel I think goes to gibson

• Members

R9 stands for Reissue 59, I believe. Go Gibson dude, I can't say it any better than someone else already did, if you get the PRS, you'll still want the LP too, if you get the LP, you'll forget about the PRS. Tone, man... TONE!!!!! Gibsons have it.

• Members

Originally posted by piez

PRS are better guitars all around in terms of quality, construction and customer service. I own a PRS Custom 24 and 22. I like the 22 better because with a 24 fret guitar the neck pickup is pushed closer to the bridge which makes you lose some neck pickup growl. Also the entire orientation of the guitar neck is a bit different. I would choose a PRS custom 22 or a Single Cut 22 over the Gibson. Gibson's quality control sucks as does their customer service. Furthermore their CEO Henry J. has screwed a lot of independant dealers so I try to discourage people from buying a new Gibson.

Better? Not to me. The most important factor to me is the sound. A Historic has the tone I'm looking for, and I've never met a PRS that did it for me like a Les Paul. I also had absolutely no problem finding the 4 Historics that I currently have, and none of them have any QC issues. I really wouldn't know about customer service, because I've never had a need for it, since I have one of the best dealers on the planet very close to me - Wildwood Guitars.

One thing we definitely agree on is the fact that Gibson is mistreating their dealers. I'm no longer in the market for a new Gibson, but if I wanted a new Les Paul, I'd still buy it from Gibson. The Historic guitars these days are extremely nice guitars... even at their ridiculous prices.

• Members

Originally posted by piez

At that level of guitar you can't say one is better than the other, it's just preference. I prefer PRS, but I wouldn't say they're better than a nice Les Paul. Wouldn't say they're worse either, just different. I've owned a lot of Gibsons and 2 PRSi.

I've never seen this QC or customer service problem with Gibson I keep hearing about. Their customer serice has been very responsive and all around excellent the times I've contacted them. With the exception of frets on a faded SG, their products have been flawless.

My PRS guitars sound great and play great, but if you want real authentice Les Paul sound, there's only one way to get it. A PRS McCarty sounds as much like as Les Paul as an SG or a 335 sounds like a Les Paul. It's in the neighborhood, but it isn't the same.

Archived