Should I put a Bigsby on my Tele?

Ebsy

• Members

Howdy,

Here's my Squier Telecaster from my other thread

tele-full.jpg

I've got a Bigsby B-5 lying around and I'm currently considering installing it on the Tele, from the pictures I've seen of Tele's with Bigsby's, it definitely looks great but there's a few things I need to consider.

Currently it's string-thru, will the toploading Bigsby option significantly alter tone?.

Will I need to shim the neck? if so, what will be the best way of doing it? (I've read you can use a .5mm pick as a shim, is this alright?)

Lastly, I'll need a new bridge, I'm considering the wilkinson compensated 3 barrel.

WILKYD1.jpg

Or this which is also nice

bigscon.jpg

Any opinions?

Thanks.

• Members

Shameless bump!. Could someone help me out with these questions?...

Currently it's string-thru, will the toploading Bigsby route significantly alter tone?.

Will I need to shim the neck? if so, what will be the best way of doing it? (I've read you can use a .5mm pick as a shim, is this alright?)

Cheers.

• Members

Originally posted by Ebsy

with the 3-barrel it'll look similar to this...

fabesquire51_big.jpg

With the ashtray-shaped plate it'll look more like this......

52relic_big.jpg

I'm really warming to the latter!

Whats the difference mounting the bigsby the first way from the second way?:confused:

• Members

Here's mine.. and it's a weird one. Whoever put the Bigsby on had an interesting way of doing it. From what I can tell the Bigsby is a B16..

trem_b16_L.jpg

.. that was sawed off at the bridge. I guess they wanted the original bridge. He drilled holes in the back of the bridge for the strings to pass through. As you can see in the second pic, the strings rub on the top of the holes. :rolleyes: There's no rollbar on the Bigsby and I don't know if he shimmed the neck or not.. but there doesn't seem to be a problem on it. When I changed strings on it a while back, I thought I'd run them through the body.. just to try it out. I didn't notice any tone difference.

Good luck if you go through with it. Your Tele will look great! :thu:

Telebody2.jpg

telebridge.jpg

telefull.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by nevermind

I've never noticed a difference in tone or sustain from putting the Bigsby on my tele. I did shim the neck a little, I used a piece of screen folded over once to get the thickness needed for mine.

000_2017.jpg

What on earth is that monstrous guitar? (sorry)

• Members

Thanks for posting this Esby as I'm cusious to do it on a tele also. Apparently there more than one way to skin that cat.

Comfortablynumb, doesn't that setup saw the strings where they pass through the bridge? Any breakage issues?

Bruce Bennett posted recently about adding a .020 brass shim plate under a (strat's) neck to improve sustain - swore it worked... if you end up needing a shim you might look into brass. A local sheet metal shop should be able to shear one for you and maybe even drill the holes too. After you get the Bigsby in place you could probably do a dry fit with the neck and a straight edge to see what thickness worked best - stack up business cards till the height was right then take your stack into the metal shop and have them caliper it for the closest gague brass in stock.

• Members

One thing to consider is that if your Squier Tele is heavy (like mine are) it's going to add a very noticeable amount of weight. In my experience it seemed like it lost a little sparkle in the tone, but it could have been pyschological. I used a top loader GFS hardtail bridge and routed the strings the holes. I had some binding issues, so if I were to run it that way again I would notch them out. I ultimately decided to remove the bigsby and buy a strat so I could have a guitar with Trem. I'm eventually going to put that Bigsby on something, but probably not a tele.

• Members

Thanks for the replies everyone.

000_2017.jpg

I've decided I'm definitely going for that look, with the ashtray-shaped plate.

And thanks for the advice regarding the brass shim id-man, sounds good!.

• Members

Originally posted by Vinnie Vintage

What on earth is that monstrous guitar? (sorry)

Actually, that was kind of the look and reaction I was going for. Custom made maple body with a WD neck. The hardware was all sand blasted back to the copper plating and then had steel wool used to sheen it a little.

• Members

Actually, that was kind of the look and reaction I was going for. Custom made maple body with a WD neck. The hardware was all sand blasted back to the copper plating and then had steel wool used to sheen it a little.

I really like it myself. you look at it and think 'oooh that's a nice tel....ooh! it's not a telecaster!' ;)

• Members

Originally posted by id-man

Comfortablynumb, doesn't that setup saw the strings where they pass through the bridge? Any breakage issues?

Surprisingly no.. I don't think I've broken a string yet on it. However I rarely play it as it has some electronic issues I haven't taken care of yet. Either way I would'nt recommend doing a Bigsby like mine.. :thu:

• Members

That's a neat look..especially the hardware. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by sufidancer

Personally, I would only put a Bigsby on it if you like the way they sound and use them in your style of guitar playing.

Good point, are you only putting it on cuz've how it looks, or will you use it?

Archived