The end of tone quest...

voneville

• Members

So my drummer happens to be a better technical guitarist then me. Its not that I'm bad at guitar, it's just that he chose to emulate Eric Clapton when he was learning, and I chose to emulate Steve Jones, Joe Strummer, and Johnny Thunders.

So Tonight while we were jamming (he plays guitars at our jams in my garage and we split the time with my punk songs and his blues numbers) I asked him to play my Affinity through his rig. His rig isn't really special. Fender Deville 4-10 with a boss od/distortion pedal. His Fender strat is a MIA from the early 90's. Sounds sweet, all stock. I had him play my CI-Indo Affinity Strat and it still rocked. It sounded different to be sure, but it still sounded great. I played through his rig also and didn't sound as good. Then I had him play my guitar through my Peavey Classic and it too sounded better (for blues anyway).

So I guess it's true, tone really is in the hands. And I suck at playing anything that isn't my own song. :)

• Members
Originally posted by voneville

So my drummer happens to be a better technical guitarist then me. Its not that I'm bad at guitar, it's just that he chose to emulate Eric Clapton when he was learning, and I chose to emulate Steve Jones, Joe Strummer, and Johnny Thunders.

So Tonight while we were jamming (he plays guitars at our jams in my garage and we split the time with my punk songs and his blues numbers) I asked him to play my Affinity through his rig. His rig isn't really special. Fender Deville 4-10 with a boss od/distortion pedal. His Fender strat is a MIA from the early 90's. Sounds sweet, all stock. I had him play my CI-Indo Affinity Strat and it still rocked. It sounded different to be sure, but it still sounded great. I played through his rig also and didn't sound as good. Then I had him play my guitar through my Peavey Classic and it too sounded better (for blues anyway).

So I guess it's true, tone really is in the hands. And I suck at playing anything that isn't my own song.
:)

heh

if he played one of your songs thru your gear, do you think the tone would be better...???? :confused::confused:

• Members

Tone is in everything. I do agree, the hands are the most important component, but maybe you're being too harsh on yourself. I don't think I'm that great a player, but other people, including musicians, say that I'm pretty damned good...

I enjoy playing, gig occasionally, and know when something sounds alright or when I've been working on something and finally nail it, I can appreciate my sound, but I don't think I'm as good as everyone else thinks...

Archived