which mix table for this project + how to make loops

Dr. Boogie

• Members

Hello,

im looking for a mix table for mixing live.

Its for mixing real instruments.

It has to have a usb or firewire connection, lots of good effects like dj mixtables have, 16 tracks,...

And how can i make loops live and mix them whit the mixtable just like a dj would mix them if they were samples.

TNX

• Members

I'll give some more explanations.

I have this project, that i call Psychadelic Electro Lounge (Prog-)Rock.

You could describe it as Daft Punk meets Pink Floyd.

I always taught when i went to concerts that the mixer had a super important job, that he was as important as the band to make it sound good.

So in this project i want the mixer to be part of the band, but his task would more like a dj.

I always like electronic music but i dont like the fact that its all pre-made.

So in this project i want to make the samples live. By using real instruments and loops.

So im searching for a way to create loops in live and beeing able to mix every loop apart on a track on the mixer.

All the instrument go through the mix table. And the dj mixes the instruments, puts effects on them, ... just like if they were vinyls or samples.

I made a schema whit my ideas and how it would work. I didnt found out for the loops yet.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7...automatsm5.jpg

All the instruments should come trough the mixing table. And there won't be guitar and bass loudspeakers.

Can someone help me to find a good mixtable?

Thank you

sorry for my english

• Members

That's a pretty tall order. I don't know what the best possible setup is for what you want to do, but I can tell you it's going to need to be a more than just one mixer. While there are dj mixers that are designed to make what you want to do possible, they're still basically just a tool to combine various audio sources. Sure a mixer could add a few effects or eq, but you still need a way to capture the original audio information an send it to the mixer.

Since you want firewire and USB connections on your mixer, it sounds like you've already got a computer involved in your plans. That being the case, I'd recommend you look at a program called Ableton Live. I've never used it personally, but from what I understand it was created to do exactly what you're talking about. This would be one way to create and arrange the samples that you want to use. Of course there are others, but all the cheapest ones involve your computer.

As far as a mixer goes, I'm afraid you won't find many 16 channel models, that's pretty much studio mixer territory. If you're going to be working with that many inputs and need the features of a dj mixer at the end of the chain, you'll likely need to use another mixer or your computer to combine them down to a manageable number before they can all be available at once. It seems to me like the important thing for you to do is figure out what formats you'll be working in and make sure the mixer you choose can handle those types of outputs. For example, not many dj mixers can handle MIDI, but there are some that are built for it. The two models below are some of the better ones out there for combining different types of modern digital sources with more traditional ones. This also means they're really not cheap.

Korg Zero8

Allen & Heath Xone3d

I guess the bottom line is that your goal is very realistic and that there is equipment out there that will help you do it, but nothing that comes in one box is really going to do it all at once.

• Members

hey, thanks a lot man.

I did some research and i think ill buy Ableton Live 6 and M-Audio Projectmix. Its only 8 tracks, but that is enough for the instruments.

Now i have to find a way to create those loops live and mix them on another 8 track mixer.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

hey, thanks a lot man.

I did some research and i think ill buy Ableton Live 6 and M-Audio Projectmix. Its only 8 tracks, but that is enough for the instruments.

Now i have to find a way to create those loops live and mix them on another 8 track mixer.

I am doing pretty much the same thing youre doing, but I am patching different sounds from different sources (laptops, muse receptor, akai sampler, no turntables. I would like to add that you that for this type of work you should also keep in mind the Ecler nuo 4 and 5 mixers, they too have extensive midi controlling capabilities and work incredibly well with Ableton's/NI's loop warping software. Suffice to say Im very, very happy with mine.

Archived