Played some guitars at Sam Ash and Guitar Center Yesterday, Ramblings from the day

Mike Sr.

• Members

At Sam Ash, I finally found a guitar that you could cut your hands on rubbing it up and down the neck. I've heard people talk about it before, but I had never experienced it before. Grabbed a Jay Turser LP copy and almost lost my fingers. It was so bad I didn't even pull it off the rack.

In Guitar Center I played a Santana PRS, $2300, and a 50's neck Gibson Les Paul, $1900. My son was with me and we played them and then compared opinion's.

I played them on an amp the same as I have at home and he did the same.

While both were pretty, they were not anything special sonicly. I was impressed by the Gibson's fretboard though, how the binding was cut to extend up with the ends of the frets making the fret board seem wider. My son was disappointed with there sound as well.

Another thing, walking into Guitar Center I saw they had the Epiphone 5 watt combo amp and played on it for quite a while. Very nice. It's hums, the tone makes up for it.

I asked if they had any of the 5 watt heads I could try. I was told "no, but I can order it for you, in fact I got one coming in, but it's for someone". I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, but I said no, that's alright, I can order it from MF and have sent to my door. Things is, if one had been available for me to try on a cab like mine, I would have bought it.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Sr.

Another thing, walking into Guitar Center I saw they had the Epiphone 5 watt combo amp and played on it for quite a while. Very nice. It's hums, the tone makes up for it.

I asked if they had any of the 5 watt heads I could try. I was told "no, but I can order it for you, in fact I got one coming in, but it's for someone". I wasn't trying to be a smart ass, but I said no, that's alright, I can order it from MF and have sent to my door. Things is, if one had been available for me to try on a cab like mine, I would have bought it.

LOL...the same thing happened to me yesterday. I just ordered the head from MF.

Archived