Geeky Santana Tone Question - Samba Pa Ti

• Moderators

I'm just coming to the end of learning this piece, but there's a few subtleties in the tone. If you're familiar with the piece, on the higher notes there's a little bit of break up or borderline distortion. Any of you can replicate this piece, I wouldn't mind a few tips.

I'm presuming that maybe the majority of its is playted just below break up with a pedal tweak to just drive the amp slightly into distortion.

Thank you:D

• Members

Originally posted by Europa760

i would try playing with overdrive and play most of the song with volume rolled off. and for the louder, gainier parts, roll on some volume.

Thread hijack !!

Europa, you still likin' your Deluxe reissue?

• Members

Originally posted by Fosse Fox

I'm just coming to the end of learning this piece, but there's a few subtleties in the tone. If you're familiar with the piece, on the higher notes there's a little bit of break up or borderline distortion. Any of you can replicate this piece, I wouldn't mind a few tips.

I'm presuming that maybe the majority of its is playted just below break up with a pedal tweak to just drive the amp slightly into distortion.

Back when that was recorded, there really weren't pedals like there are today. Sounds to me like it's all done straight in. Any dynamics are just coming from the volume knob on his guitar and his fingers.

Originally posted by GCDEF

Back when that was recorded, there really weren't pedals like there are today. Sounds to me like it's all done straight in. Any dynamics are just coming from the volume knob on his guitar and his fingers.

yeah agreed.

might be able to sim it with the above suggestions.

• Moderators
Originally posted by Frets99

yeah agreed.

might be able to sim it with the above suggestions.

Indeed eventually managed to find that his first pedal was a Mutron wah but bought about early to mid 70s.
I'm playing this piece at my wifes niece's wedding in August along with a few others, but haven't played in front of an audience since I was 19, 24 year ago:cry: :eek:
Maybe I could have picked some 12 bar blues?:cry: Still only 800 people:cry: :cry:

Get these guys to help you!!:D

Garza.jpg

I'm playing acoustically at a wedding in July. Normally, I don't mind playing but something about the weddingness of it all...:eek:

Weddings are talked about forever... and ever. The idea that " And do you remember that guitarist... OMG, what was he on??? " dissolves into hysterical laughter...:(:D

• Members

Okeydokey....what did he play then....guitar wise......although my intention was to play it on a LP, I've been eeking it out on a Strat.

although i'm partial to strats, I think you'd have to do less "eeking" if you stuck to your LP.

Go buy and SG; that ought to work.

• Moderators

Originally posted by mangojeep66

although i'm partial to strats, I think you'd have to do less "eeking" if you stuck to your LP.

Go buy and SG; that ought to work.

Eeeking out is a term we use in Blighty to mean getting something out sor sorting something out or finding something out....not making screechy noises....although I do that too:D

And as for an SG I'd sooner drink dog vomit:cry:

It is one guitar I will never ever like.....guaranteed!

• Members

Okeydokey....what did he play then....guitar wise......although my intention was to play it on a LP, I've been eeking it out on a Strat.

More than likely a P-90 equipped SG into an early Mesa Mk I or its prototype. Doesn't sound like a Strat to me.

• Members

Eeeking out is a term we use in Blighty to mean getting something out sor sorting something out or finding something out....not making screechy noises....although I do that too:D

And as for an SG I'd sooner drink dog vomit:cry:

It is one guitar I will never ever like.....guaranteed!

oooh. Sorry, I hit a guitarNerve with the SG suggestion.:D
I thought you w
ere looking for his vintage cranked amp woodstock tone-because I'm pretty sure that's how he achieved his "on the verge of break up" sustain tone.

"eeking"=I stand corrected.

By "eeking," I thought you meant that sweet tighrope between clean and fluffy-Santana infinite-sustain...ie: "Europa"

I still think humbuckers would do that better than a strat.

:)

• Members

I could compromise with a set of Pete Biltofts HB size P90s:thu:

I'll just go ask my wife if she'd like to fund them....quite a coup if I could manage that:cool:

Cheers man:thu:

Good luck with the funding!

I have none; and my wife is an unwilling benefactor.

:cry:

• Members

More than likely a P-90 equipped SG into an early Mesa Mk I or its prototype. Doesn't sound like a Strat to me.

It was a Les Paul into a Fender Twin, according to GP, 30 some odd years ago.

• Members

Yep. Early on Carlos played P90 equiped SGs and Les Pauls. Supposedly Abraxas was cut on a prototype Boogie Mark I, prior to that I believe he was a Fender guy.

• Members

I like the sound my Electro Harmonix Double muff gives on the single muff setting turned down gives just the right amount of zing IMO for those pieces.

Archived