Guitar store Lickmeister I am NOT

Alanfc

• Members

Sheesh I forgot what guitar stores were like. Who really plays long jibbajabba phrases like that in a song?

I'm a really laid back type but of course near the surface lurks a perpetually envious & competitive teenager. I'll just keep remembering its about the SONG :rolleyes:

Anyway tried about 20 guitars at lunch today, trying to find a good size body and feel now that I love my old Shecter 006...now looking for a "high quality" replacement. All the $3000 Gibsons and other cool guitars felt all wrong to me. Plus The action on these things are so low its a joke for me. Out of all these, 2 I needed to try my store didn't have >> a PRS SE (want wide/fat neck under 4 gillion dollars), or a Petrucci which I think already will be wrong since I read everywhere that the neck is thin.

The only ones that had a slight chance with me (short arms, big hands):

Gibson Les Paul double cut faded, that wood grainy reddish one.

Gibson Blueshawk

Reverend Charger 290.

But they all were such low action that I couldn't judge em quite yet.

• Members

Originally posted by MrFreese

I'm interested in hearing about the Blues Hawk and the Reverend. How did they feel and sound?

(I didn't plug them in)

I brought a strap to the store and paced around and played them and just tried to feel them. To my hands:

The Reverend had a chunky rather round neck, and fairly wide fretboard. The body is small, felt right. However the edge where the forearm goes was digging in a bit too much for me. No dead notes, bending was OK even with the low action but it was way too low for me to judge for my own use. Heavy in overall weight.

The BluesHawk- similar neck, Lighter in weight. Had sort of a twang to it that I thought would sound not-so-good through an amp.. but I don't know. On this particular one the high E was too close to the edge of the fretboard. The string spread seemed tighter than the Reverend. Also had an edge where the forearm goes.

Don't know yet if these will be rejects in my search.

Archived