Soldering

FalafelKing

• Members

Good idea, allows you to customize the lengths to whatever you want and use the best components.

Little tip I like is to use silver solder, it conducts better (better sound), flows wetter so is easier to use and has better mechanical strength so is less likely to fail.

All IMHO of course! :D

• Members

http://www.billlawrence.com/index.html

This is one of the best deals on the net, 50 feet of high capacitance cable plus 10 solderless connectors. I have ben playing over 30 yrs and these are the best most reliable cables I have ever had and the price is perfect. As far as the little screw coming out, it will never happen. The screw drives it self in the teflon.

BYW, if you still want to DYI, soldering is no big deal and you should know how to do it anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by FalafelKing

Thanks. THat's what i figured. I also am considering the George L's kit where you just screw in the cable but i can also foresee screws coming loose over time and i cant imagine troubleshooting that before a show.

I have done both, and I can say this-George L's are great-sounding, easy to put together cables and I doubt if they would come undone on you in any way, but they do manage to twist up quite a bit (maybe I move around too much when I'm playing, I dunno). On the topic of solder-it-yourself, I do like to make my own cables-just get some Switchcraft ends and some good co-ax (I used to like Belden, but I haven't bought any for a while) with braided shield and you're good to go, and they don't twist up as much.

-Mikey

Archived