Master bus shows clipping but...

• Members
If you aren't clipping on any individual track or bus, why would turning down the master be bad? I understand you need to be careful about not overloading any effects or sends but these things can be monitored too. I always try to mix low such that there is no need to turn down the master, but sometimes I find myself needing to turn down the master by about 1-2dB to avoid a few stray peaks in a song that aren't clipping an individual track but when added to the rest of the mix push the master a bit into the red. Is there any absolute reason why you shouldn't do this?

Also, any chance you could detail how you acheived turning down all the tracks in sonar with automation already written? I hate getting towards the end of a mix being a little too hot but then having to deal with the fact that a bunch of automation is already written in. I'm currently using sonar 7 too. I would appreciate the tip!.

I see nothing wrong with turning down the master.

I'd also like the answer to turning down after automation already written in Sonar. :)

• Members
I'd also like the answer to turning down after automation already written in Sonar.
:)

When automation is already written in Sonar you can still change the gain. Just highlight the clip, go to Process>Audio>Gain and at the bottom of the window you can set it to -[insert # here]dB or just use the slider.

• Members
I've read explanations as to why you're better off not lowering your master but the particulars escape me... I can tell you what my tests showed; If you run your faders hot and lower your master the sound is constipated, choked. If you lower you faders and keep your master at zero the sound is open and natural.

It's easy enough to do the test yourself... try and see.
:thu:

I think it has something to do with overloading the input stage of the master. Ever since I started out at a lower level per fader and 'cranked' the master to 0db, what you said has occured- more headroom and more 'openness' to the mix.

• Members

OH and I hit the reds all day long... Just cause you see it doesn't mean you hear it... I don't peg them but every song clips a few times....

Of course I don't trust those meters and when I master, I see NOTHING clipping (on the meters I trust)... Beware digital headroom is tricky.

And a kick or snare clip can make a song... no joke.:cop:

OH and you guys pulling down the master fader have absolutely NO CLUE what the hell you are doing... Means you just don't understand the ENTIRE concept...

Archived