If you had $1100 to spend on a nice preamp or A/D Converter what would you choose?

• Members

A friend of mine from Nashville suggested that I purchase the Great River MP-2NV and a Royer R-121 . . . for electric guitar? It's my favorite combination out of everything I've ever tried.

What have I tried? Well, I've got 2 Avalon 737sp's, a UA 6176, a Peavey VMP-2 and the Great River SLAYS THEM ALL for a tone, for control of the amount of "deepness" and grit you want to apply or NOT apply . . . I'm not big on the technical terms, but I've been playing and recording for 20 years and that Great River will be in my studio for as long as I have one.

By the way, the GR with a Shure 57 is right on the money as well, so you can't go wrong.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A friend of mine from Nashville suggested that I purchase the Great River MP-2NV and a Royer R-121 . . . for electric guitar? It's my favorite combination out of everything I've ever tried.

Yeah, that's a pretty stellar combination...hard to beat it for what you're shooting for.

Frank

• Members

The Great River is mighty nice on electric guitar. I usually use either a ribbon mic (Shinybox 46MXC or a Cascade Fathead II with Lundahl transformer) or a 57 on electric guitar cabs, plugged into either a Great River MP-500NV or a Groove Tubes "The Brick" and you can get a great tone with any combination of those things.

• Members

I'm surprised that with all this conversation, no one's bought up the Apogee Mini-Me. It has two top quality pre-amps, with built in convertors, digital out, and a built in compressor/limiter to boot, all in a relatively small package. While it doesn't have the expandability of say an API lunchbox, it's definitely worth every penny in my experience. I've heard some fantastic recordings done off just a Mini-Me and Mbox; they totally blow the Apogee Duet out of the water. It should be around 600-800 at most.

Also another option for all the 002, 003 users out there, is to do the Black Lion Mod ( they might mod other pieces of equipment too, i'm not sure). For around 500-1k, you send in your hardware and they basically mod the crap out of it to make it a high level piece of equipment. With the 002, they replace the mic pres to get at least +20db more headroom, with way higher quality, they change the power supply components and i believe the convertors as well. I've heard some great sounds come out of those too. Basically makes a mid-level sounding piece of hardware like the 002 to something top-notch. I wouldn't say they would be Neve quality pres or anything, but they can definitely get close, esp with some creative EQing..

Just some thoughts to throw in the pot..

Very valid point. If you can find one used (they don't make them anymore), grab it. It's less than half of what I paid for my API A2D and a great piece of gear- for a great price. Especially for guys like me who own track a maximum of 2 tracks at a time. You can get a great signal chain with the Mini-Me. 2 channels, and the push-it compressor is awesome.

Archived